Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Handcuffs not included



What a date! Me, two cops, and a government agent for breakfast in Denver.

From left to right, Michael Siverling, criminal investigator; Sergeant Michael Black of the Matteson, Illinois police department; and Rick McMahan, a special agent for the ATF.

Okay, it wasn't a date, just a bonding session before our panel at Left Coast Crime. But what mystery writer doesn't love to spend time with law enforcement experts?

These men can boast experience in SWAT team training and leadership and undercover narcotics work. They've investigated everything from extreme militias to outlaw motorcycle gangs to homicide and child abduction cases.

I think it's correct to say that everyone enjoyed hearing their "war stories." The panel was called "Down These Mean Streets," but these guys were anything but mean in Denver. And I suspect that when they're not on the job, they're pretty sweet. Here's one clue: two of them have "cat" in their email names, and the third has "peach." How mean can they be?

Other LCC highlights

Our own Terri Thayer told you about one of her highlights. I was there for her, "let's bring it back to sex!" comment (see her Saturday 3/8 blog). I can attest to the interest and great response she got!

I had several great conversations with Deb Baker, one of the founding ladies of KILLERHOBBIES, and wiggled my way into a seat next to her at the banquet.

The hospitality room, set up by the Rocky Mountain SinC chapter included an amazing daily spread of snacks and chocolate (chocolate is not a snack, but a food group).

I was also able to take a side trip to the Denver Museum of Miniatures, Dolls, and Toys, and indulged myself in their gift shop.

The miniature bar I put together and donated to the auction brought in a lot more money than any of my cozy reading scenes …. Hmmmm.

5 comments:

Terri Thayer said...

Lucky you, Camille! An all guy panel. Tough job, but someone had to do it.

Your miniature was so popular and raised so much money! What a great use of your talents.

Kathryn Lilley said...

What a fabulous miniature, Camille! I'm sure it must have been incredibly sought-after, especially because bellying up to the bar is a favorite pastime of many authors at conferences (grin).

Ann Parker said...

Wow! I love the bar scene! ... I mean, the miniature you created, of course.

Anonymous said...

What a great Left Coast Crime occasion, made greater by the bar you submitted for the auction. Sounded like fun all around, even at your extra stops! xoxoxox

Camille Minichino said...

I was counting on the "bellying up" crowd, Kathryn!