Thursday, September 11, 2008

I wish I was John McClane

I wish I was John McClane.

I’ll bet even Bruce Willis wishes he was John McClane.
Here’s why I wish I was John McClane: Because, in every episode of Die Hard, you know the following about his character:


  • He’s going to see a huge threat before the rest of us do
  • He’s going to jump into action
  • He’s going to get in way over his head
  • He’s going to get scared
  • He’s going to get hurt— hurt bad
  • He will nearly get killed.
But all the while, no matter what goes wrong in for him in the story, here’s what you also know about John McClane:
  • He will not give up. Not ever.
  • He’s will kick the f*cking sh*t out of the bad guy.
  • In the end, he will save the building/city/nation/planet.

If I were John McClane, I’d somehow know these things about myself, and I would not be worried about the following mundane facts of my author’s life as Kathryn Lilley:

  • I have a full time “day job” as an editor, where they have apparently mistaken me for Superwoman (or Joan McClane), and so expect me to work miracles on an increasing number of increasingly difficult projects.
  • I am the mom of one adolescent, plus one young adult woman.
  • I have a book manuscript that is due at the end of November (really, it’s due October first, but my angelic editor has given me a much-needed extension).
  • I am married to an amazingly tolerant and patient man, but he needs a bit of my undivided time every once in a while.
  • I have taken on an unwise quantity of promotional and marketing tasks.
  • I have a book tour coming up in October for the second book in the Fat City Mysteries, A KILLER WORKOUT.

All that being said, I have to make a very un-John McClanish announcement:
I will be taking a three-month vacation from my Friday blogging responsibilities at Killer Hobbies.

My Killer Hobby colleagues have heroically stepped in to fill my shoes. (All together, now: Let’s visualize Camille or Terry or Linda with an AK-47 slung around their shoulders, cigarette hanging from their lips, shouting Yippee-Kai-Yay!).

When my manuscript (MAKEOVERS CAN BE MURDER) is finished at the end of November, I hope to return to my regular posting duties at Killer Hobbies, if the hobbies gang still has space for me.

Meanwhile, you can find me on my web site, http://www.kathrynlilley.com/.

Until then…Yippee Kai Yay!

Oops…I have no idea how that McCain-as-McClane photo slipped in. That's why you gotta to watch out for those aging hero-types…they’ll survive no matter what you throw at them.

4 comments:

Camille Minichino said...

You talkin' to me?

I'm getting ready for a break tomorrow to see the new DeNiro/Pacino movie. I'm calling it research, and I'll bet there'll be at least one AK-47 and a few cigarettes.

Glad to fill in and will be glad to have you back, Kathryn!

Kathryn Lilley said...

Thanks, Camille!! I didn't even know there's a new Pacino movie--I'll be at the first matinee!

Linda O. Johnston said...

I admire you for all you're doing, Kathryn, and if taking a break from Killer Hobbies helps you accomplish it, that's great! Best of luck with it all, and I'll look forward to your return.
--Linda

Terri Thayer said...

I had to take a nap after reading that, Kathryn. My AK-47 was getting heavy.

Take care of yourself!