Wednesday, November 12, 2008

BLACKWORK

I signed up for a private lesson in blackwork and took it last week Thursday. Blackwork is the name of the Betsy Devonshire novel that will follow Thai Die (Dec. 2 release), and it is nearly finished in first draft manuscript form. Blackwork has two meanings. The first is a form of counted embroidery, the second is an alternate term for black magic. This makes it perfect as a book title in a needlework series, especially when the book is about a Wiccan woman accused of murder.
I’m glad I took the class, which will result in an eight-sided pincushion.
But doing blackwork isn’t as easy as I’d hoped. Oh, the theory is easy enough – just as Hardanger is easy, in theory. Blackwork has been made easier for me since the lesson. Between a good teacher who managed to talk down to my level, and a relatively simple pattern, I have both a little more ability in the craft and a little more confidence that, if I really worked at it, I could get a whole lot better. I’m having a follow-up lesson tomorrow evening. By then I’m supposed to have completed two copies of the pattern. Since I’ve not quite finished one, perhaps I shouldn’t be writing this blog entry but . . .
Excuse me.

6 comments:

Eline Oftedal said...

Thanks for shareing that experience in such a fun way!

sheep#100 said...

"Go do your homework!" says prof trek.

:o)

Camille Minichino said...

Another advantage of a killer hobby -- there's always something to learn. We have a new crafts store in the neighborhood -- small but with a lot of class offerings and I'm matching the schedule with my calendar now.

Looking forward to seeing your work, Monica.

Betty Hechtman said...

Blackwork is a cool choice for a title considering the double meaning.

I bet the pin cushion is stunning.

Monica Ferris said...

I'll try to post a photograph of it when I get it finished.

caryn said...

This sounds fascinting-both the needlework and the book.
Caryn