Thursday, November 5, 2009

Travel Fun

So where was I a couple of weeks ago when I panicked about the possibility that my younger Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Mystie had disappeared while I was traveling?

New York, New York!

It was a great trip, one we attempt to do annually. Our excuse is to go to the Baron Funds Annual Meeting. We don’t own a lot of their mutual funds, but enough to get an invitation to their free event. Of course we have to pay to be in the area, but it’s worth it to see the surprise entertainment as well as hear talks from CEOs of some of the companies in which the Baron Funds have substantial investments. The surprise entertainment this year was Carole King at lunchtime, and Rod Stewart in the afternoon. Lots of fun!

Even better for me was the opportunity to meet with both of my editors, at Harlequin and at Berkley. It’s always wonderful to see them--and even better that the ideas I pitched to them were met with lots of interest!

By the way, my story in my last week’s blog about worrying whether Mystie slipped out of the house wasn’t the only scare in the family. My mother-in-law’s cat B.D., who’d gone outside in really windy weather when everyone left the house for a while, didn’t show up for dinner that night. My M-I-L looked all over, inside and out. I didn’t want to say anything, but with all the missing cats around our area--and coyote sightings--I feared the worst had also occurred in Ohio... until B.D. decided she was ready to reappear. She had somehow sneaked back in and hidden in a room upstairs where my M-I-L had looked for her with no luck. Not till B.D. chose to let everyone know she was fine!

Do you know of any sneaky kitties or doggies? And what excuses do you use to travel?

6 comments:

Camille Minichino said...

I lived in NYC for 5 years and now try to get there at least once a year. Happily, having an agent and an editor there make it seem like a necessity! Once there, part of the research is a day at the Met. You never when I'll set a book there.

What did you think of the new bleachers in Times Square?

Linda O. Johnston said...

I was amazed by the bleachers, Camille. It appeared that the individuals sitting there are just people-watching. Are there also events there to watch?
And of course you need to do research at the Met. That's where the conference that I attend is set, too.

Camille Minichino said...

As far as I know, there are no formal events, just a place to sit and snack and people-watch. It was a brilliant idea!

Janie Emaus said...

Next week I'm going to Hawaii for my daughter's wedding. I don't have any pets, but my parents are putting their little Chipper in a Doggie Day Spa. Nothing but the best for Chipper!

Linda O. Johnston said...

That's one excellent excuse to travel to Hawaii, Janie. I'm sure Chipper will be well cared for, but I'll bet he wishes he was coming along!

Betty Hechtman said...

I love New York and wish I had an excuse to go there. I'm glad your meetings with the editors went well.