Tuesday, December 15, 2009

We Three Wise People




Here's my 2009 Christmas card. I can't claim that it was a quick and easy last minute idea —- it was labor-intensive! -- but I can say that I used many of my crafting tools!

1. Used my sketch pad and charcoal to draw cartoon of Three Wise People and cellphone tower, in black and white.
2. Used my husband to shrink drawing to fit, 4-up, on 8.5" x 11" cardstock.
3. Used printer to print out 63 sheets.
4. Used paper cutter, yielding 252 cards.
5. Used scalloped edged scissors to cut along top of each card to make "horizon."
6. Used a sponge in stamp pad ink, running along edges to make a thin border.
7. Used a ¼" punch to punch out a star over the hills on each card.
8. Used my new fine-tip brush-point markers to color in parts of the cartoon. I colored in something each time ... sometimes the garments, or crown, or cellphone parts, whatever kept me from becoming bored!
9. Used paper cutter to cut 252 gold cards (4-up) from gold card stock.
10. Used my adhesive dots to glue final version of cartoon onto gold card.
11. Used a thick marker to write a message on each card.
Whew.
But I wasn't finished. I had to prepare the envelope.
12. Used a stamp of a crowd of people pointing up on the back of each envelope.



I make my cards every year as a way of meditating on all the people on my list, each one with special meaning in my life. The more difficult the card, the longer I get to think of each one. At least that's the thought that kept me from running out to the nearest card shop when my fingers cramped up!

What are some favorite holiday cards you've made or received?

5 comments:

Josje said...

I like it. A lot.

Betty Hechtman said...

How much nicer than a store bought card. I would love to do something like it, but every year - like this one - I run out of time.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Camille, you are astonishing. Wow. Love it.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I'm impressed, Camille--as always! I haven't even had time yet to send my store-bought cards, although I did write my annual catch-up letter.

Camille Minichino said...

I should say that another 50 people or so receive a store bought card -- they are people I think for one reason or another wouldn't relate to handmade.

But, really, this is my indulgence every year, to sit with my list and acknowledge every one with a personal touch.