Thursday, January 21, 2010

Talking about pets

We seem to all be talking about our animals this week. I'd like to introduce you to Bernie.



She's named after my favorite sewing machine, Bernina. She's a rescue cat that was living in a vets office. Someone rescued her from the streets but then was unable to keep her because of dogs in the house. Dogs that terrorized the poor kitty.




She's a good cat although she can be pretty needy. Bernie's very verbal so I get a good tongue lashing when I travel or otherwise leave her alone. Other than company, her needs are simple. She doesn't care for treats and prefers dry food to wet.



What's she not is a good earthquake predictor. The first majorish quake we had was a few years ago. She disappeared under the bed and stayed there for hours. The other day we had a pretty good shaker. Again with the disappearing act. But nothing beforehand.

After the fairly big quake in Northern California a few weeks ago, video circulated of a dog predicting the earth moving. He seemed to know something was up just before it hit. Studies have shown though that animals are not really that good at it. In China, animals were right about one major quake, completely wrong about another.

The thing about Bernie is that she gets just as excited about a moth flitting by as a possible serial killer on my doorstep. I can never tell if she's flown to the top of the dresser because there's an axe murderer in the window or if the lightbulb flickered. In fact, I can tell. It's the light bulb.

9 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Cats can be so entertaining. We think we're entertaining them with the toys and such we buy them, but in reality I think we're their entertainment. Bernie is adorable.

signlady217 said...

The real fun is in watching a couple of kittens start acting crazy. They don't know if they're coming or going, and it is so hilarious!

Dru said...

Bernie is cute and yes we are their entertainment.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Bernie sounds like a wonderful kitty. Her communication with you is adorable, even if it's mostly on her terms!

Monica Ferris said...

I love cat tales! I also love how cat owners can speculate endlessly about their cats' behavior. Dogs seem pretty transparent, but cats are mostly opaque. I say "mostly," because now and again they will do something so obvious even their owners can tell what's on their minds.

Terri Thayer said...

Cats teach us the less said, the better. If you want to appear smarter than you are, than just remain aloof.

Not that I'm saying that's a good thing...

Betty Hechtman said...

Loved the pictures of Bernie. I always like hearing about pet's personalities. I never appreciate how unique each cat is until I had one.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Bernie is adorable!

Anonymous said...

We got MANY of our cats (when I was a child) from the vet clinic, as you can imagine. :) Bernie's a sweet kitty--and I love how she got her name.