Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Re-Learning a Stitch

Some people fell ill, others were afraid of the icy streets, so we had to cancel our annual penny-ante poker party New Year’s Eve. I was very disappointed, of course; I don’t know how many years we’ve been gathering for this game without a break. Maybe later this month some of us can get together for a make-up party.

Something over a year ago I knit a scarf for a friend in a basket weave pattern. I decided recently I’d like to revisit the pattern, but couldn’t find my copy of it – I’d received it free when I bought a beautiful wool blend skein of yarn. It’s one of those “I know it’s around here somewhere” problems. Someone knew of a Dover reprint of an old collection (1940s) of knitting patterns that had the pattern in it, so I ordered it. Well, I wasn’t sure of the technique as described in the book, so I went online. It took me awhile to realize that there is a “basketweave” stitch and then there’s the “plaited basket weave stitch,” and the two are not at all alike. I looked at several instructions and thought I understood, but then I struck gold: http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlineec/instructionalArticle.asp?iaid=77. It’s a short video of someone doing the stitch, describing what she’s doing as she goes along. I have discovered that I learn best when I can see someone actually doing what I’m trying to learn. Apparently that goes for re-learning, too. As soon as she started doing it, I remembered how it was done. God bless the Internet!

That’s kind of a disappointing trait in myself. Starting from scratch, I can figure some things out. I can follow recipes, for example, even for things I have never encountered before. But when it comes to stitchery, I need to go to a class – and even then, it helps to have the instructor sit beside me and tell me, stitch by stitch, how to do something. I don’t know why I can’t figure out a technique just by reading about it. Maybe it’s because I came to needlework later in life; if I had only let my mother teach me (as she wanted to do), I’d probably be better at learning new techniques. Or maybe not; some things I’m just not talented at. Don’t get me wrong, I’m vastly interested in needlework. I admire the products of needlework, I think many of them are works of art. My mother’s counted cross stitch angels are amazing – all the more so because I’ve tried my hand at doing complex counted cross stitch and know how demanding a task it is.

The other day someone suggested I do something with stump work in one of my books. I’d love to, stump work is a variety of needlework where parts of the pattern rise up off the fabric into three dimensions. But to write about it means I’ll have to take a class. Or two. Or three – I’ve taken three classes in Hardanger and still can’t do it. But oh, to produce a lively nature study where the dragonfly’s wings rise in delicate patterns right off the cloth . . . Hmmmm.

6 comments:

Elaine said...

dragonfly coming off the canvas reminded me of Nancy Eha, a Minneapolis beading instructor. http://www.beadcreative.com/secretgardenpage.htm
one of her other workshops is 3D roses using ultrasuede.

Monica Ferris said...

Wow, that's a gorgeous pattern of dragonflies on flowers! Thanks for giving the link.

Shel said...

I can crochet. I can do some needlepoint (though not Hardanger). But I can't knit. I can cast on, but I can't knit. It's annoying, because I see all these great things you can make, but... nope.

sosarahsew said...

I have never heard of stump work before. I have done several types of needlework (of course I love your books!), but not this. Off to investigate through internet...

Monica Ferris said...

Sosarasew: Look here for a discussion and examples of stump work, among other techniques:
http://www.caron-net.com/nov99files/nov99des.html

Shel, it's surprising to me how many people can knit but not crochet, or crochet but not knit. I am beginning to think I am one of them, I just can't catch onto crochet.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could find a way to incorporate the scarf pattern into a future book! Just a thought.