Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Social Networking - Advice?

I admit it. My Facebook post yesterday was a little bit of a farce.

What was it? I asked for people’s opinion about what I should blog about on Killer Hobbies today.

I got no responses at all, which was interesting. If I’d gotten any, I’d have pondered them and probably just discussed them here, perhaps saving any exciting ones for a future Killer Hobbies post. But I asked the question as an experiment of sorts.

Part of it is that I’m never quite sure what will garner a lot of likes and comments on Facebook. I’ve been posting a lot about my current self-promotion blitz, since my first Pet Rescue Mystery BEAGLEMANIA was just published. I got a lot of positive feedback when I posted that BEAGLEMANIA was a Fresh Pick of the FreshFiction.com website.

When I link my posts here to Facebook, I generally don’t get much feedback either here or there.

I do sometimes have conversations either on Facebook or under its messages or chat functions. I’ve met some fun people there, including other writers and fans of my writing. That really feels great!

I also study what other people post to try to see what gets them the most feedback. After all, I joined Facebook in the first place as a tool to market my books, so I want as many people as possible to be my friends and to communicate with me.

But what’s the secret to getting responses to all questions? Should I have asked about blog subjects differently, or should I not have asked that at all?

What kinds of Facebook posts do you like to respond to?

14 comments:

Charmaine Clancy said...

Usually asking direct questions will get you a response, but if that fails, humour and pictures of cute kittens is always a winner ;-j

Rebecca said...

I am not one to comment on Facebook since my page is still blank...and mostly I don't comment on blogs, but I hate to think that no one does. It is a lot of work to put out a column/blog
To some extent it is the same with e-mail on yahoogroups. No point in saying "I agree" even if it is only wasting electrons.
)And sometimes there is just no time before work.)
The content that is most likely to make me comment is something that triggers a strong opinion or a cool memory to share.

Dru said...

Sometimes I think it depends on what is being asked. I saw your status on facebook and I had no idea what to say, but if you would have said should I talk about pets, writing, a recent trip, a TV show, a book that you read or something fun, giving us a choice, I think you would have received some responses.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I think I need to learn how to post cute kitty pictures, Charmaine! I can do humor if I think about it...

Linda O. Johnston said...

I did try for opinion, Rebecca, but not a particularly strong one. Good idea-memories, too. I don't always comment on Yahoo groups, either, but probably should participate more rather than being a permanent lurker!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Specifics probably would work better, Dru. But then I'd have had to come up with some! If I do this again, I'll try that.

Betty Hechtman said...

I like the idea of giving choices.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Me, too, Betty--especially if I can come up with some good or controversial ones!

Shel said...

I have to admit I missed the facebook post entirely -and couldn't figure out how - only to discover we weren't "friends". I've sent you a request, Linda. Don't know how I missed you before.
Anyway, had I seen it, I probably would have answered, but I have no idea what I might have said. I think Dru has a good point; making the query more specific might have worked a bit better.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

It's amazing the response people have to pets. And to sassy observations on life. Linda and Betty, are you my "friends" on FB?

Linda O. Johnston said...

Will be delighted to be your FB friend, Shel, but right now when I try to confirm it tells me to try again later... odd! Being specific about inquiries seems to be in the majority so I'll work on that next time. Thanks!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Pets always work for me, Joanna. And, yes, we're Facebook friends.

Janie Emaus said...

Asking a question or giving choices always seems to work.

social media for churches said...

As with any other activity such as tele-sales, website, blog or online or print advertising the key is to stand out from the crowd. There are several ways this can be achieved using the most popular social media sites; Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, for example