Friday, July 1, 2011

Computer Joy

At last I can get online without waiting, waiting, waiting. At last I can read my emails without having to watch that swirly thing go around and around before each email would finally open. At last I can click on a website and actually have it download. At last I’m not getting kicked off line .

I’ve had my new desktop computer since March, but getting online was never good and sometimes impossible. It turned out that while I was getting reception from our DSL router, it wasn’t strong enough.

My son got me an antenna and some kind of booster and suddenly everything is working lightening fast. I didn’t realize how much the frustration of my online dealings was coloring my computer habits. Basically, I was avoiding my desktop.

I am certainly glad to have all that speed now. I have been making arrangements go to Minneapolis for the Knit and Crochet Show at the end of July. All that checking of airline schedules and prices would have been a nightmare if it weren’t for my nifty antenna.

The Knit Guild and the Crochet Guild get together and put on a summer show and a fall show. Along with a sales area, there are classes, banquets, fashion shows and lot of people who love to work with yarn. I’m going as research for the crochet mysteries that features Molly Pink and the Tarzana Hookers and for my new series that is going to feature Casey Feldstein who puts on yarn retreats at a slightly sinister Northern California conference center. I’m also going because I love doing yarn arts. I looked at the list of vendors and I’m bringing an extra suitcase, just in case.

As I said the two guilds put on a fall show as well. This year it’s in Greenboro, North Carolina. The funny thing is I’m already going to Greensboro that same September weekend for the Writers Police Academy. It’s going to be an intense weekend of learning first hand about cops and firefighters. There’s even a lottery and the winner gets a ride along in a sheriff’s car. I don’t remember all the activities, but there was something about a shallow grave and possible bad odors.

I love doing research.

I hope everybody has a safe and happy 4th of July. What are you all doing to celebrate?

13 comments:

Dru said...

I don't have any immediate plans but will enjoy the holiday weekend even if I stay indoors.

Happy 4th.

Betty Hechtman said...

Dru, it's supposed to top 100 degrees around here with humidity. I'll probably be spending time indoor, too.

Planner said...

Congrats to you and your son for an important human victory over the computer! Don't get too light-headed with those fast speeds!

Betty Hechtman said...

Planner, I love the lack of frusration!

Monica Ferris said...

Is that knit and crochet show at the Mall of America? I went to one out there several years ago and it was great! Congratulations on getting your computer up to speed, it makes a huge difference, doesn't it? I'm writing today and tomorrow but on Monday I'm going to a friend's house to learn about Droids and how they are used in shopping nowadays. Then an early supper with another friend, then off to a nearby park for fireworks.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I just returned home after the Romance Writers of America Conference, Betty, to find that my husband has been using my computer the whole time. The only changes I've found so far is that he raised my chair and turned on the sound. I think we'll spend a calm 4th!

Betty Hechtman said...

I like your plans, Monica. It sounds like a little bit of learning and fun.

Theknit and crochet show is being held at the Hyatt Regency in Minneapolis. Here's the website if you want to check it out. www.knitandcrochetshow.com

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, raising your chair and turning on your computer's sound could be good clues in a mystery.

I like the idea of a calm 4th. Though it's already not calm around here. I heard people shooting off fireworks and shooting off something that sure sounded like a gun.

Monica Ferris said...

Thanks for the link, Betty. It looks interesting.

Sandy said...

Congratulations on getting up to lighting speed! I love being able to multi-task on the computer and not have it crash!
Your new book sounds very interesting. I can't wait to read it.
This 4th will be spent at home watching the fireworks on TV in our air conditioned living room! Happy 4th of July! Sandy

Betty Hechtman said...

Sandy, watching fireworks from your living room sounds pleasant. I always like to stay close to home to comfort my animals during all the noise.

Jen K. in MN said...

Betty,
I will be attending the Show for the first time ever. I'm excited for my class, but I'm also looking forward to running into you (hopefully). I'll be looking for ya!

Betty Hechtman said...

Jen, I hope we run into each other.