Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happy Fourth of July!

This year we're starting a new tradition--Fourth of July at our house on the beach. As befits a new tradition, we made a few purchases. Ahem. David bought a honking big barbecue grill. I mean this thing is so big it needs its own Florida license plate or it'll get pulled over on the highway. Before David came down, I bought a teeny tiny grill, but I'll admit, it wasn't up to the job of feeding our entire crew. (We're planning for 14 people.) But now that we proudly own the Mothership of All Grills, or MAG for short, I'll pass leetle beety grill to my sister.

Also on the new tradition docket will be the first annual Slan-Hutts-Campbell Yatzee Tournament. Otherwise known as the Grandma Marge Memorial Yatzee Show Down. Of course, none of us can cheat like Grandma used to--and I doubt that I could keep a straight face while saying, "I must have added wrong" twenty million times. But we'll do our best in the spirit of Grandma Marge!

No tradition would be complete without food. My brother-in-law Mike is an excellent cook, so we've named him honorary Grill God. David will be Grill God in Training. I'll make my watermelon salad and a fruit salad, but my sister Meg will bring the Strawberry and Spinach Salad. Here's the recipe:

STRAWBERRY and SPINACH SALAD

1 pkg. fresh spinach
1 pint strawberries, sliced (or more berries)
1/2 onion, chopped
3 T. sugar
3 T. water
2 T. white vinegar
1/2 T. dry mustard
1/4 c. oil

Rinse spinach, remove stems and dry. Tear into bite-size pieces and place in bowl. Add strawberries. In small bowl, combine onion, sugar, water, vinegar and mustard. Gradually whisk in oil. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat.

ENJOY!

What's your Fourth of July Tradition? Any cool recipes you always make? DISH!

3 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Thanks for the recipe, Joanna. Sounds good! Will you see any fireworks over the water tonight?

Liz V. said...

A whole meal for you, from cooks (not me) -- http://www.mysteryloverskitchen.com/2011/07/panic-cupcakes.html

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Hey, Liz, I'll check that out. Linda, we missed out on the fireworks over the water. Maybe next year!