Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Roller Coaster

Summer is not making a graceful exit this year. Two mornings in a row the past seven days we’ve wakened to temperatures in the low forties, with a lick of frost overnight. Yesterday the temperature rose to nearly eighty. I’ve put most of my summer wardrobe away but I’m keeping a pair of shorts or two on hand in case this continues.

The trees are confused, too. Some are as green as in high summer, some are in gorgeous fall colors, and there are even some who have surrendered all their leaves. I was hoping for a spectacular display for when my friend from Mexico City comes later this month, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

My writing’s gone all to pieces, as well. I’m not sure what’s happening, but there seem to be holes appearing in the plot I’m working on. I send Betsy over here to discover a clue and find that either the clue isn’t happening or that the ostensible reason she was to go there has evaporated like morning dew. It’s very frustrating and a little scary – the manuscript is due at my publisher in December and I’m dithering. The main story is there and clear, it’s the little details that won’t snap into place. It’s times like this that make me wonder why I think I’m an author. I remember the office jobs I had, where I’d go in to work in the morning to find a stack of things to do, do them, and go home at night with a clear conscience. Of course, back then I’d dream of being a full-time author. I guess we’re never satisfied.

8 comments:

Carol S said...

It is the change in the seasons that has us all stirred up. The last two weeks have been weird for everyone I know; trouble sleeping, getting started in the mornings, can't concentrate on things, allergies acting up. Just when it gets settled, here comes the man-made time change at the end of the month.

Betty Hechtman said...

I can relate to your writing issues. My next manuscript is due December 1 and I feel like I'm struggling, too.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Our weather in LA is a bit irritating at the moment, Monica, since it keeps raining each time we're scheduled to have our roof repaired. But we've had some lovely sunsets!

It sounds like we're all in sync about our writing. I've reached an issue that my subconscious is really struggling over.

Monica Ferris said...

Though I sympathize with everyone's problems, at the same time it's comforting to know I'm not alone. Let's hope that by the time the snow flies, we'll all be back up to speed.

Anonymous said...

Just hang in there!

H. L. Banks said...

I can so identify with what you are saying although I'm sure all those details will drop in place, they usually do. I remember the sinkhole I fell into when I discovered a gigantic hole in my plot towards the end of the manuscript. Horrid, but that's the writing life I think.

Terri Thayer said...

Hang in there, Monica (and Betty!) Step away if you can.Get a friend to read what you wrote. The answers are there. My critique group always sets me on the path again.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

I think it's the doldrums. I'm having a hard time getting in gear myself. Sigh. Virtual hugs to you--Betty, Linda and Monica, my blog sisters. We'll get through this.