Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Round and Round

I’m home! I’ve been traveling for nearly two weeks, fortunately with Internet access a lot of the time so I could join in Joanna’s Halloween party and mostly keep up with Killer Hobbies.

I’m so happy to be back with my dogs! I’ve been able to visit them online, too--via the CavCam--the camera my husband set up to keep an eye on our Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and our house and our dog-sitting younger son. Isn’t the Internet amazing?

This trip involved meeting up with some family members in Maryland: our older son and d-i-l, and her parents--a delightful time! Then on to New York City where I met with my agent and two editors, among others. Next was a fun shareholders meeting for the Baron Funds--an event we attempt to attend many years because of the delightful “free” entertainment. (It is actually free, but you have to be in NYC to indulge.) This year we had lunch watching an absolutely wonderful show by Wolverine--well, Hugh Jackman. I knew he could act, but he sings and dances marvelously, too. By seeing him, we missed the other two lunchtime venues where James Taylor and Bebe Neuwirth were the entertainers. The main entertainment was Sting, whom I enjoyed but not nearly as much as Hugh Jackman.

Another really fun part of the conference this year was that I knew one of the CEOs who were invited to speak about their companies in which the Baron Funds invest. Mark Smith is the CEO of Molycorp. Molycorp used to be a subsidiary of Unocal when Mark and I were both in-house attorneys there.

Finally, I ended up in Pittsburgh to visit family--also great but never long enough. Even so, it’s great to be home in California--except for those upcoming deadlines...

This weekend I’ve got a bunch of events brewing, including a couple of signings: at Mysterious Galaxy in Redondo Beach on Saturday at 2:30 PM, and at Mystery Ink in Redondo Beach on Sunday at 10:00 AM. If you’re around here, please come and say hi!

How about you--any trips planned soon? Any book signings you’re having or attending?

8 comments:

Liz V. said...

In a comment to your Mystery Lovers' Kitchen post, you lamented posting only a human-food recipe. Going through old bookmarks, I came across the following (probably bookmarked by my dog while I was out): http://www.bsolheim.com/dogtreatcontest.html

Used by Solheim in one of her books.

The email address on your website is not valid.

Janie Emaus said...

I wish I could attend yours, but I'll be out of town. Welcome home.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Thanks, Liz! I'll check it out. Not sure why you're having problems with the email address on my website. It's lindaojohnston@rocketmail.com and it seems to work for others. Please try me again there, too!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Thanks, Janie, and hope you have a good trip!

Betty Hechtman said...

What a great trip! I wish I could have hidden in your pocket.

Linda O. Johnston said...

It would have been even more fun to have you along, Betty!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Tell me about Folio's new office, won't you?

Linda O. Johnston said...

The new Folio offices are delightful, Joanna--filled with clients' books, of course, and lots of well-designed and highly usable space for the agents and staff. I arrived late in the day but still managed to see some wonderful people there!