Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Welcoming 2012

This is my last Killer Hobbies blog for 2011. Where has the year gone?

This holiday season has been an offbeat one for me. It started with a wonderful visit with my niece and her husband and my nephew on a beach in Ventura County. The next day, my younger son and I had a delightful holiday meal at the home of some close friends, but we won’t be celebrating by exchanging presents until sometime next week. That’s because my family is doing Christmas at different locations and at different times. My husband Fred celebrated with his mom and our older son and d-i-l this week at the family farm in Ohio. Fred and his mother are heading here for a further celebration with our younger son, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, and our other nephew and his girlfriend... sometime soon. I’m not sure of the date yet. We also will have another house guest soon, a friend of the family.

If you think I haven’t kept track of what happens when, you’re right!

But I have been busy nonetheless. What have I been up to this week? Writing! I’ve just finished proofreading the page proofs for the next Pet Rescue Mystery, HOUNDS ABOUND, which will be an April 2012 release. I’m also writing the next in the series, OODLES OF POODLES. I’m plotting and planning for what I hope will turn into more Harlequin Nocturnes in my Alpha Force miniseries about a covert military unit of shapeshifters. There’s already another Alpha Force story in the works but I don’t yet have its title or publication date confirmed. My first Harlequin Romantic Suspense, UNDERCOVER SOLDIER, will be published in July 2012.

Plus, although I haven’t gone into full preparation mode yet, I’m doing some planning for the online class I’m teaching beginning in February for the Orange County Chapter of Romance Writers of America: Kiss Me or Kill Me: Writing Cozy Mysteries for Romance Writers. Participants don’t have to be romance writers, though, since I intend to start from scratch about how to write cozies.

How about you--how long does your holiday season last? Did you do anything different this year? What are your plans for next year?

Have a very Happy New Year and a wonderful, safe, healthy and productive 2012!

13 comments:

Ann Summerville said...

I can't believe 2011 is nearly over.
Looking forward to another fun blogging year in 2012.
Ann

Linda O. Johnston said...

Excellent point, Ann. I'm looking forward to lots more blogging, too!

TinaFerraro said...

I am having a wonderful holiday season, and I wish it would last longer since it means all three of my college kids are home! 2012 will mean lots of writing, reading and blogging for me, too. Some of my OTHER favorite things!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Sounds like it's a time to treasure now, Tina--and a fun upcoming year!

Betty Hechtman said...

You sound like you have a busy 2012 already lined up. And all things you feel good about.

robena grant said...

My holiday was quiet, and in many ways reflective. I liked it. It's hard to believe that NY is only days away. I just exchanged 2012goals with my critique partner and based on the enthusiasm written on that page, I'd best stop playing on blogs and get to work. ; )
A happy and healthy New Year to all.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Sounds like a refreshing holiday, Robena--and how great that you've already established your 2012 goals. And, yes, blogging can be time-consuming, but it sure is fun!

Linda O. Johnston said...

I definitely do have some good stuff ahead, Betty. Hope you do, too!

Janie Emaus said...

I spend my weekend with my daughter's inlaws. And let's just say I'm glad they are hers and not mine! I'm looking forward to a 2012 and wish you all the best!

Linda O. Johnston said...

All relatives can be interesting and challenging, Janie--and it is sometimes better if they're someone else's! Happy 2012!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Wow, Linda, what a full plate! Any chance we could get you to share some tips from your class? I'd like to learn more.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I doubt I could teach you anything you don't know about mystery writing, Joanna! I'm working on preparing the class and will probably blog about that eventually as well as how the class goes once it starts. I'd be glad to share tips as appropriate. First one? If you want to write cozies, you gotta enjoy them first!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Linda, I always can learn more. Maybe we should have another online Writing Clinic as we've done in the past?