Sunday, April 1, 2012

Come On, Get Happy!

The world is so full of a number of things/ I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings!
                         --Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses

When I was a kid, I had this Little Golden Book, A Child's Garden of Verses, by Robert Louis Stevenson. The cover grew tattered. The pages grubby. But gosh, I still recall many of the poems and their ideas. They made a great impression on me.

In particular, these days, I often find myself thinking about the art of being happy. As you have read from my blog sisters, there's a big, interesting world out there, full of food and flowers and friends. (Some are fur-covered and some aren't!) My sister, Jane, often remarks on the fact that I'm never bored--and I'm not! There aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do!

The hibiscus by my front door. Everyday is like a fiesta of color!
Recently Jane discovered this cool app called ToonCamera. It's all of 99 cents, and gosh, I've been wandering around taking photos of the silliest stuff and watching ToonCamera convert my images to cool cartoonish pics.
The wonky table that my friend Yvonne and I covered with seashells and resin.

I must have spent twenty minutes running around my house taking photos!
A Zentangle I did in color.

When I took pics of my Zentangle work, I was totally amazed at the new look of my familiar tangles.

Here's the deal: Nothing has ever been improved by unhappiness. Nothing. You can't right a wrong, fix a problem, or improve any situation by being unhappy. Honest! It serves no purpose to moan and whine.

Call me a Pollyanna, but maybe the whole world needs a ToonCamera app. Maybe if everyone saw the world through different lenses, there'd be a lot more happy people!

2 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Love your attitude, Joanna--and your ToonCamera app, too!

Betty Hechtman said...

I always think about something that Dali Lama said about happiness. I'm not sure I have it exactly right, but it was something about when you're happy, you're expansive and reach out to others.