Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Cucumber Sandwiches

On June 2, at 1:30, we’re holding a Mad Hatter party in the Party Room of Aquila Commons, where I live.  We’re serving lemonade, tea, lemon and raspberry bars, and cucumber sandwiches.  I’m going to bring down all my hats – close to forty! – and a stand-up mirror and we’re going to let everyone try them on.

The cucumber sandwiches will come from an unusual recipe I first encountered from Dan Heine at a picnic we hold every summer at Centennial Park in Edina.  The park has a full-size croquet court and a bocce ball green.  We dress nicely and pretend it’s early in the twentieth century.  There used to be four of us, but unfortunately Dan died last year.  The picnic, however, will continue.

RECIPE FOR DAN HEINI’S CUCUMBER SANDWICHES

Blend:
1 package of cream cheese
8 oz. sour cream
1 package dry Italian salad dressing
2 tablespoons milk

Pickled ginger

Thin slices peeled cucumber

Loaf of tasty bread

Spread the cream cheese mixture fairly generously on a slice of bread, layer the cucumber on top, add two or three slices of ginger.  Serve open face, or spread more cream cheese on another slice of bread and cover.  Traditionally, cut the crusts off and, if using full-size bread, quarter the sandwich.  I’ve been using French bread, but I want to try it with cocktail-size rye bread.  This is really refreshing and delicious, a summer treat!

This past Saturday I signed up for a three-hour golf lesson taught by PGA golf pro Dee Forsberg.  I discovered my stance was wrong, my grip was faulty, my swing was wrong.  My distance and accuracy improved dramatically during the lesson.  So yesterday I went out to my usual par-three and smacked the ball so hard but inaccurately it went off the course and across the street into someone’s yard.  I couldn't find it.  It was a new ball, too.

5 comments:

Katreader said...

I wish I could attend your Mad Hatter Tea party. I sounds like a wonderful event!

Carol S said...

Your Mad Hatter party sounds like it will be a blast. And think of the golf lessons like a quilting class, everyone has a different style but you can always learn a new technique.

Ellen said...

I remember one Magna cum Murder where a bunch of us started passing hats around in the lobby. After all the dust had cleared, some of the hats went home with a different person.

Monica Ferris said...

I remember that Magna cum Murder event! That was fun - but McM is altogether fun.

I am really looking forward to the Mad Hatter event. So many women say they can't wear hats, when all they need is to find the right hat.

Thanks for the encouraging words, Carol!

Monica Ferris said...

I remember that Magna cum Murder event! That was fun - but McM is altogether fun.

I am really looking forward to the Mad Hatter event. So many women say they can't wear hats, when all they need is to find the right hat.

Thanks for the encouraging words, Carol!