Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Flexibility

I was having a hard time figuring out what to write about today.  Usually, topics come to me fairly easily.  I eventually realized what my problem is this week: I’ve had to change gears in my writing, so that’s put me off my pace, at least a bit.

I have two books coming out in February 2013: UNDERCOVER WOLF, part of my Alpha Force mini-series for Harlequin Nocturne, and OODLES OF POODLES, my fourth Pet Rescue Mystery for Berkley Prime Crime.  I knew the copyedits were due soon for both--where I’d get to see changes, or suggestions for modifying the manuscripts, from  my editors and get to do some revisions accordingly. 

I’d intended to finish an extremely rough draft this week of the next Alpha Force story after UNDERCOVER WOLF, tentatively titled UNTAMED WOLF.  However, I received my copyedits on UNDERCOVER WOLF--which usually wouldn’t present a problem, but my editor requested my response by the end of this week.

I always try to comply with that kind of request, whenever possible.  First, I’m really fortunate to have wonderful editors.  Also, in the instances that I’ve requested deadline extensions, they’ve been very accommodating to me.   So... I’d better stop writing this and go back to my copyedits!

Fortunately, I shouldn’t receive the edits for OODLES OF POODLES for a couple of weeks.  And the other thing I was writing at the same time as UNTAMED WOLF, a potential novella, will just have to wait for now.

Do you ever start racing toward a particular goal and find yourself swerving a bit because something else has intervened?

14 comments:

Betty Hechtman said...

I just read that it takes twenty minutes to get back on track after getting interrupted. I can vouch for that.

Linda O. Johnston said...

That sounds about right, Betty, although sometimes I know it takes longer!

Jane Emaus said...

The answser to your question is ALL THE TIME!

Camille Minichino said...

I heard a talk once where a "coach" told us that 7 seconds is all it takes to get back to focus. (This applies mostly to when someone interrupts you while you're writing, not necessarily when you've shifted to a whole other book!)
He gave us an exercise and demonstrated it. Since then, I've been able to do it -- I haven't timed myself exactly, but I know it's less than a minute. Very handy!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Wow, that's fast, Camille. I'm impressed! Now if only I could do that when working on two books. Sometimes doing a crossword puzzle in between helps.

Camille Minichino said...

Between books I'd like a month (!) but usually can only manage half a day (or a crossword puzzle).

Linda O. Johnston said...

But I'm sure you handle it well, Janie, and get back on track.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Half a day works better than right away, Camille--especially if you do that crossword puzzle, too!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Linda, I know exactly what you mean. And Camille, it takes me longer than 7 minutes. I find myself resenting diversions! When you are editing or writing a first draft, it's particularly challenging because the connective tissue is so fragile.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I agree that interruptions on the first draft can be worse, Joanna. On the other hand, I do tend to try just to get first drafts onto the computer, no matter what condition, and then spend a lot of time editing, so any interruption can be a pain, especially major ones.

Camille Minichino said...

I love that phrase concerning first drafts, Joanna -- fragile connective tissue.

Mollie Cox Bryan said...

I'm sure it takes me longer than 7 minutes, too. Especially in the summer when my daughters are underfoot. They go back to school next week and let me just say that it's about time!

Linda O. Johnston said...

I like that phrase, too, Joanna and Camille.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Your distractions don't take no for an answer, Mollie--probably even less than my pups do! At least you have a respite of sorts to look forward to.