Tuesday, April 23, 2013

April is the Cruelest Month

Riddle:  What word can be written forward, backward, or upside down, but always can be read left to right?

Come, talk to me about Global Warming.  Monday’s forecast: Rain, turning to snow.  We could get up to eight inches!  (This morning there's about four inches on the ground in Minneapolis.)  Records show this is one of eight (eight!) times in Minnesota history that temperatures have failed to reach sixty this late in the year.  The robins are here, singing their hearts out, but where are the crocus?  There’s only a week left in April.  Where are the golden daffodils, the bright tulips, the fragrant hyacinths?  Where are the flowering trees, the scents of newly cut grass and spaded gardens?  I have a feeling that when the weather pattern finally switches to spring, it’s going to be like an explosion.  Spring will last for twenty-four hours and then spang!  Summer!

Has anyone else noticed that the Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is in Beth Israel Hospital?  I wonder if he knows.

Doggone it, I forgot something when writing the next Betsy Devonshire mystery: the pattern that goes in the back.  Though the focus of the story is on punch needle, the pattern can’t be that, because a punch needle pattern comes printed on tailor’s cloth and there’s no way my publisher would arrange to insert an actual piece of cloth in the back of each book.  But the book also has as a clue some really elaborate Hardanger embroidery edging a bedsheet.  I need to ask someone to make a pattern of edelweiss and dove’s eyes for me, and soon.

Answer:  NOON

3 comments:

Christine Thresh said...

What is taylor's cloth? If it is not too thick it can be ironed to a sheet of freezer paper and run through a ink jet printer (not a laser) and a pattern can be printed on it. Maybe that would work.

Linda O. Johnston said...

How sad that spring isn't springing where you live, Monica. I feel particularly sorry for the robins.

Betty Hechtman said...

I'm in Chicago (last day) and I arrived with a flooding rain. Then there were bits of frozen snow on my porch. The spring flowers are out here and I saw a robin and a cardinal - neither of which we have in Southern California. Since I've been here I have watched the leaves begin to spring forth on a tree outside my window.