Tuesday, July 22, 2014

I Must Set Sail

Captain E. Griffin died in 1767 in Madison, CT.  His grave is marked with this little poem:
Tho Broeas’ blasts and Boistrous waves
Have tost me to and fro
In spite of both, by God’s decree
I harbor here below
While I do not At Anchor ride
With many of our Fleet
Yet once again I must set Sail
My Admiral Christ to meet.

Ellen did not come home last week, but probably will tomorrow or Thursday.  I have been getting the apartment ready, having ordered from a rental company a shower bench and a “lift chair” – you know, one of those lounge chairs that gently rises to put you on your feet – and other things.  Today our maintenance man will come in to install grab bars in the bathrooms.

She looks and acts completely well, and I have to remind myself that she’s still healing, and held together with staples, stitches and a steel wire.

Meanwhile, I’m trying to get back into writing mode, and finding it a little difficult.  I’m still distracted.  I played a really bad golf game last Thursday and that made me realize I’m not back from this episode any more than Ellen is.

But I’m going to go to Chicago in August, to attend a regional meeting of the National Needlepoint Guild and made a short speech at the start, sign some books, visit the Art Institute and do a little sightseeing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear Ellen seems to be in good mental shape. Hope she improves physically soon.

Your last post talked about your pattern for the Christmas book; is it an ornament?

Monica Ferris said...

Yes, it can be either an ornament or an insert into a card.

I just noticed an error in the poem. It should read, "While I do at Anchor rest . . "

Dee W said...

It's good to hear your friend is better, but these things are as hard on the caregivers as on the patient. I hope your writing picks up, I love Betsy. And I envy you going to Chicago for ANG, it was on my wish list but got cancelled. Take care.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Even if you're not actually writing much, Monica, I'll bet your subconscious mind is at work and preparing to get into your latest project.

Betty Hechtman said...

Monica, I'm going to Chicago in August, too. Being in the midst of the city is always an exciting change. I hope we both get good weather.

Monica Ferris said...

I'm sorry you won't be there, Dee!

I think maybe you're right, Linda. I've noticed at other times that even when I'm not putting words on paper, my mind is working out a plot.

Betty, what dates will find you in Chicago? I'll be there the 15th, 16th and 17th.

Betty Hechtman said...

Monica, I'm going to be in Chicago from August 11- 18.