Friday, August 1, 2014

Time to Let It Go


All week I have been going back and forth between proof reading the galley pages of KNOT GUILTY and working on the manuscript of the third book in the Yarn Retreat Series. Reading over the galley pages (that’s what I call them, but the real name seems to be first pass pages) which are type set and look like the actual book will is always bittersweet. It is the last time I get to see it before it is released. My last chance to make any minor changes. Then it is left for readers to love it, hate it or feel indifferent.

Today I reversed how I worked and wrote on the manuscript for the new book first. I had to take a break before I moved from the computer into my living room to do my allotment of proofreading. It was hard to let go of Casey and all her shenanigans and go to thinking about Molly and all of hers. Finally, I’d cleared my mental palate by reading the newspaper and sharing a bagel and cream cheese with one of my cats.

I just had the last 40 or so pages to proof read. Since it was the climax and end of the book, the pace picked up and I had to keep reminding myself I was looking for mistakes and not just reading. I hope that it is a good sign for the book. And then suddenly there I was at the end of the story. I looked over the patterns and the recipes and then it was done.

Time to say goodbye to it. I felt such a wave of melancholy. Like seeing a dear friend off on a journey. You have to let go and hope they will soar.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad there will be another Molly mystery. I so love this series.

Betty Hechtman said...

Anonymous, I'm so glad you're enjoying the series!

And I have a contract for two more Molly books after KNOT GUILTY. I can't wait to start on the next one. I have aleady bought the yarn for the pattern I'm going to include.

But first I have to finish Yarn Retreat book 3

Planner said...

I can't wait to read the next Molly book, too! Congrats on finishing it, and thank you for letting Molly spend time with her adoring readers!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Betty, I know what it's like to toggle between series. And letting go of a "child" when you know it'll go out into the world without your assistance any more is always a challenge, too. But I'm sure both stories will be great!

Betty Hechtman said...

Planner,thank you for being such a fan!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I'm sure you know the feeling of letting go. I guess it is good that we feel a tug at our hearts. It shows the story means something to us.

Melinda said...

Love the series. Can't wait for it! Congratulations on finishing it!

Betty Hechtman said...

Melinda, it is always so nice to hear that someone is looking forward
to my next book.

Erland Tamboen said...

Great !! I can't wait to read the next Molly book, too ! :D

Betty Hechtman said...

Erland, I'm glad you're enjoying the books!