Friday, November 21, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014

It’s less than a week to Thanksgiving. The days are short and though it doesn’t seem so here, winter seems to have made an early appearance in a lot of the country.

Thanksgiving is always an interesting holiday for my family since I am a vegetarian and they aren’t. To keep everyone happy we go out to dinner. For the past few years it has become our tradition to go to a restaurant at the beach. They have a buffet with turkey, fish and prime rib to please the rest of my family and rice, potatoes, vegetables, and salad for me.

It is less about the food anyway. Us being together and gazing out at the Pacific at sunset is more the point. It isn’t that we don’t spend time together. Right now we are all working together. Not my writing, that I do alone. We are in the midst of a new venture with all the tension that goes with the beginnings of something.

On the upside, I am learning how to use new software. I am learning to make friends with Word, even though I still use WordPerfect for my manuscripts. It is a whole new world out there. No more getting copies made - now it’s printing from a digital file. And just because I have Word and Staples has Word, doesn’t mean that a file will appear the same. Finally I get the point of PDF.

I like the idea of doing something new. It’s all about growing, learning, and becoming instead of status quo and being. I like watching how at first something new is awkward and feels strange and then gradually it becomes familiar and then almost automatic.

I like rising to the occasion. Stepping out of my comfort zone. It is all a big adventure.

So what am I thankful for? Well, really so much. First and foremost is my family – that includes both humans and cats. I am grateful for all the people in my life now. I am thrilled that I wake up feeling good, wide awake and looking forward to the day ahead. I will never stop being grateful for my book deal with Berkley. Being able to write mysteries with yarn craft in them is like a super dream come true.

Personally, I don’t see the point of having only one day year to think about being thankful. Right along with celebrating, it belongs being an every day occurrence.

Happy Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

Planner said...

I totally agree--every day is right for being grateful. It's so easy to forget how lucky we all are to have even just the basic things like running water, food, clean air to breathe, and freedom to plan our days as we wish when a lot of people in the world don't have the things we take for granted.

I'll join you in being thankful every day.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Delighted to hear that all is going so well for you, Betty. Sounds like there are a lot of new ventures and adventures in your life. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, too.

Betty Hechtman said...

Planner, gratitude is a powerful thing!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, yes, life is exciting!

chkntza said...

I agree and I also love learning new things. I am grateful for my wonderful life everyday. And I am grateful for you.

Betty Hechtman said...

Miriam, what a nice thing to say! I am oh so thankful for reader like you.