Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Christmas



Christmas is on our doorstep, I hope those of you who celebrate this “most wonderful time of the year” in part by shopping are about ready.  I think I am, but I’m carrying a twenty dollar bill in my wallet just in case I suddenly remember, “Oh, my gosh, I forgot ___!”

What I’m more likely to forget is the pork loin in the freezer until people start knocking at our door expecting dinner and I’ve got deviled eggs, relish dish, pickled beets, cheesy asparagus hot dish, hot rolls, pie – and no pork loin baked with onions, apples and bacon.

And amidst all the frenzy of preparation, don’t forget to take a little while to sit back, drink something good, and just breathe.  And remember, there are twelve days of Christmas, the season lasts until January 6 (Epiphany, or the Feastday of the Three Kings), so don’t try to cram everything into just one day.  By the way, the Bible just says wise men came from the east, but because they brought three gifts for the newborn King, myths grew up around then, saying there were three of them, and not only were they given names, they have tombs, three in Europe and three in the Middle East.  Like other trivia infesting my brain, I even know their names: Melchior, Caspar, Balthazar.

Best wishes to everyone for a merry Christmas – and a happy and prosperous new year!

3 comments:

Annette said...

Delightful post.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too Monica..

Monica Ferris said...

Thanks, Annette.

Betty Hechtman said...

Good to remember there are twelve days of Christmas, not just one. Happy Holidays!