Tuesday, March 21, 2017

It's Only Money



The coin show was fun.  There were some beautiful and valuable coins bought and sold there, including gold ones.  Over seven hundred people came just on Saturday.  I thought hard about buying the Queen Victoria silver crown coin, but just couldn’t bring myself to spend that much for it.  Instead I bought a Victoria half crown – and then a King Edward VII and a King George VI, both crowns, all three for less than half what the Victoria crown would have cost.  Mr. Davisson showed me a Queen Victoria pattern crown (a design for a coin that was never minted), a magnificent and very finely detailed piece that really belongs in a museum.  Only four thousand dollars!

Quite a few people saw and commented favorably on my display of “1,000 Years of English Money.”  A member of Northwest Coin Club wants me to refine it some more and enter it in our State Fair.  I’ll think about it – but probably won’t.  Each coin in my display is firmly fastened down inside two frames, but what if someone just picks up a frame and walks away with it?  Thirty-plus years of patient searching and buying, gone.

 On the other hand, what would a thief do with it?  These aren’t American dimes and quarters they could spend in a vending machine – which is what happens to many collections a burglar takes, which is why an amazingly valuable coin will turn up in someone’s pocket change.  Which is why collectors routinely examine their pocket change.

2 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Coin collecting sounds like fun!

Betty Hechtman said...

I'm glad the coin show went well.