Thursday, January 4, 2018

Top 5 Crafting Moments

Happy New Year! It's 2018. 2018. For some reason that number really hits me and I'm not sure why. It seems like a year I couldn't imagine when I was a child and here it is. Stretched out before me. I'm trying to see the possibilities for all those days and reviewing what worked didn't work, and I wanted to try again from last year. In 2017, I decided to make crafting one of my goals. I realized I didn't spend much time on one of my favorite activities, so added crafting once a week onto my list.

In the beginning of the year, I was good at keeping track, and actually crafting every week, but faltered every now and then on that goal. I enjoyed making crafting a priority and am adding it back on my list. I've already received one request on something to make: a crocheted shark tail/or mermaid tail in blues/silvers/grays.

I tried some new crafts, finished some projects, and found an activity that my oldest and I could enjoy together. For this post, I'm going to share my Top 5 Crafting Moments.


Number 1. This project holds a special place in my heart as it's the first painting from a class I took with my eldest. We enjoyed the class so much, it is now our mother-daughter activity and we try to attend one paint session a month.

Number 2. Wine glasses decorated with vinyl for a Christmas gift for my daughter. She is a huge Harry Potter and I wanted to create something that tied in with her love for Harry Potter. I was a little nervous making them as I hadn't ever placed vinyl on a curved surface. She loved them!

Number 3. My second most time-consuming layout that I made in 2017. The pictures are from a trip we took in 2015. It took about 5 1/2 hours to complete the layout, a little more time than I usually spend on a double page spread, but I loved how it turned out. I wanted to create a layout that could double as a framed art piece if I decided to hang it on the wall.

Number 4. The most time consuming layout I made in 2017. This was kit from a class I took at the Killer Krops retreat in April. It took about 8 hours to piece together all the die cuts...some of the pieces were tiny. It would've taken me longer if I had to cut everything out myself but the amazingly talent instructor had cut out all the pieces. The cost of the class was worth it just not having to cut out all the die cuts myself.

Number 5. I was taking two of my favorite people in the whole wide world trick-or-treating at the mall and didn't have any trick-or-treat bags for them so I sewed up a couple. I made them reversal so the bags could be used later for other activities. I made the pattern myself and realized after sewing the first together that I forget to account in for the seam allowance so the bags weren't as wide as I wanted. It didn't matter as the children loved their bags, Spider-Man preferred his with the super heroes showing rather than the Disney Halloween fabric.

1 comment:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Lots of fun crafts, and I especially like those wine glasses. :)