Monday, February 19, 2018

Avocado Toast

Publix had avocados on sale for 5/$5. I love avocados, and eat them with a sprinkle of salt right out of the shell. Husband likes his cut into chunks and dressed with balsamic vinaigrette.

Avocado toast has become a thing, prevalent on menus for breakfast. Google tells me it made it's first appearance in 1962, but it's popularity has exploded in the past few years.

I picked up some German Dark Wheat bread, and it's become my new favorite. Grainy, seedy, tastes healthy even though it's probably not as healthy as I'd like it to be. Toasting it does all the things toasting does: warms the seeds, sprouts, and knobbly things in it, gives the bread crunch and texture. I'm swooning just thinking about it.

I can't make breakfast faster than this, especially when I toast the bread while I blow dry my hair.

Avocado Toast

2 slices German Dark Wheat bread (or your favorite)
1 avocado, split in half, pit removed, and sliced in the shell

Toast the bread. Let it cool for a few moments before putting the sliced avocado from each half on one piece of toast. Use a fork to mash the avocado a bit, or leave it in pretty slices (assuming you removed it with a spoon and got pretty slices). Sprinkle kosher salt on top.

Eat and enjoy the smug satisfaction of a fast and filling breakfast.


Do you have a quick and easy breakfast?




No comments: