Wednesday, February 21, 2018

My Sweet Dogs




I started writing this post with one hand.  Why?  My younger dog Cari was curled up on my lap.  She does that a lot while I'm working on the computer, and although I can do some things with one finger at a time I haven't figured out a good way to type around her.

That means I can check emails and Facebook and blogs and even do crossword puzzles--slowly.  I can even edit.  But write?  Nope, she needs to get down for that.  And as I was writing this, she just jumped off.  Guess she got uncomfortable.

And my other dog Mystie?  She's lying on the floor at my feet.  She sometimes looks at me to pick her up and hold her too while I'm working, but those looks of hers usually mean she has something else in mind, like going outside or playing games with her squeaky toys.

In case anyone wonders why I love to write about dogs, I think you can tell by reading this that mine are always my inspiration, even though I write about other breeds and mixed breeds more than I write about Cavalier King Charles Spaniels--although I'm addicted to them.

I did write about a Cavalier in my Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mysteries, since--and you may have heard this before--Kendra was a lawyer who lived in the Hollywood Hills with her tricolor Cavalier  King Charles Spaniel Lexie.  At the time, I was a practicing lawyer, I live in the Hollywood Hills, and Lexie was the Cavalier we lost about a year and a half ago.

The Kendra books were also what inspired me to write here, at Killer Hobbies.  I was invited to join those who were blogging here then because the theme of this blog was mysteries involving hobbies.  I accepted the invitation, but I made it clear that dogs aren't hobbies, they're family members.

Right now, I need to get back to writing an upcoming Barkery & Biscuits Mystery.  And, yes, I am writing this with one hand again.  Cari is back on my lap.



6 comments:

cupcake58 said...

Really love the Pet-Sitter Mysteries. I thought Lexie was adorable but never realized how wonderful a Cavalier was until my son rescued one. Hashbrown is under a year hold but oh so adorable and silly and smart. We lost our two senior dogs a year ago, a lab and a husky and I'm thinking that when we are ready for another dog, it may have to be a Cavalier.
scarletbegonia5858(at)gmail(dot)com

Linda O. Johnston said...

I love all dogs, but Cavaliers are the greatest! I met my first one on my first trip to London many years ago when someone had one on her lap on the Underground. I've been owned by Cavaliers ever since. If you'd like any more info from me on them, feel free to contact me at the email address on my website: www.LindaOJohnston.com

cupcake58 said...

Thank you Linda, that's very kind of you. By the way, my name is Margaret. :-)

Linda O. Johnston said...

Glad to meet you, Margaret!

Linda O. Johnston said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I completely understand writing with pets around. I have tried writing unsuccessfully with a cat on my lap.