Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Let It Snow



We are still digging our way out from under a big blizzard that started late Friday, exploded on Saturday and continued most of Sunday, dumping over sixteen inches of  wet snow that came down horizontally in a wind that at times blew over forty miles an hour.  I went to the funeral of a good friend late Saturday morning in a light snowfall that barely coated the streets.  By the time it was over, including a lovely catered lunch, there were whiteout conditions on the streets, and I crept home leaning forward over the steering wheel, barely able to see other cars on the street.  Church services on Sunday were cancelled, I watched television and stitched and worked on Tying the Knot – which has a blizzard in it, so that was appropriate.  Work on TTK is starting to move along - hurrah!

The forecast says tomorrow, Wednesday, will be either lots of rain or some more snow.  This is not exactly unprecedented for April in Minnesota, it often snows in April.  But we did set a record for the amount of snow this past weekend.  And unless it all melts by Wednesday – it’s trying to do that, but temps are hovering between twenty and forty degrees, so it’s slow going.  The snow is cooling the air, which keeps the temperatures low, so I suspect Wednesday is more likely to see more snow or at best a rain and snow mix.  

Perhaps we’ll see daffodils and tulips some time in June, and lilacs by the Fourth of July.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear you are continuing on with Tying the Knot. I look forward to all of your books - they are a great comfort.

Dee W said...

I'm in Iowa and we are having the same issues. The rivers are up, our road to town is washed out again, I hope this isn't a precedent for the summer. Take care, Happy Writing!

Sandy E said...

Love your stories; I have been visiting them all lately during our lovely MN weather. Having grown up in Navarre, church in Excelsior, & been around when the amusement park was still open; it’s been fun to think of the changes both from your books & my memories. And, I saw where you commented in your adventures that your editor wouldn’t let you use Hawaii in a story. I think after this spring of snow where winter didn’t want to leave that you should send Betsy on a tropical vacation!

Monica Ferris said...

Oh, I would love to go back to Hawaii! So beautiful, so laid back, so warm . . .

But I'd also like to check Costa Rica off my bucket list, or re-visit my niece in Fort Myers, or go again to Texas, this time to that city - what's its name? the one with the River Walk. I've loved visiting Mexico City, but I think it's kind of dangerous right now . . .

Betty Hechtman said...

Monica, I think you mean San Antonio. I had to delay my trip to Chicago because of the weather you talked about. I came on Tuesday and it snowed here Wednesday night, but just a dusting really and it was gone by the next day.

Monica Ferris said...

Betty, you're right, San Antonio. I've seen pictures and videos about the River Walk and it makes me yearn to go. One of these days . . .