Thursday, June 14, 2018

Learning to Make SVGs

On my quest of "doing" this year, I wanted to learn how to make my own SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) cutting files. I love using my die cutting machines (Silhouette Came and Cricut Explore Air), and since I switched offices about a year ago, I find I'm using them more. The set up for my new office and craft room allows me to have the cart with my machines right beside the computer desk, making it easy to hook them up. I don't have to rearrange chairs or carry a machine to the desk to use it.  

There have been some files that I wanted for a scrapbook layout and wasn't able to find them in either of the design places for the machines, and the ones I found on Etsy or from SVG shops weren't the style I wanted. It seems a lot of the designs lean more to "cutesy" and some pages I'd like something more formal for my pages. I had wished I knew how to make them and when I saw a class was created by a crafter/blogger I follow, I decided to give it a try. It's an online go at your own pace course. Just my style as if I'm not getting a lesson, I can go back and watch it again.

The first couple of classes I wasn't sure if I'd make it through, my brain just couldn't seem to comprehend what I needed to do, and it seems I'm not coordinated to use the pen tool. It took me hours to make one small, simple flower petal. I don't know if something is off my my hand coordination or if it's just something I have to practice doing to get a better hang of it (my husband believes it's the latter). There's just something not clicking in my head in how to curve the lines. I've re-watched multiple times and I can never get it to curve in the proper direction and the instructor makes it look so easy. I might check YouTube for some more tutorials on how using the pen tool in Inkscape. 

End of last week, the lesson was using the trace feature. This option I like. It still took me a while but I love the pop-up card that I made. I need a little more practice as there was an extra cut on the image I made, but it was easier for me to figure out than the pen tool. I can't wait to create a couple more files through the tracing method. 

No comments: