Thursday, June 21, 2018

New Beginnings

I'd never have guessed that my series titled New Beginnings was going to need a new beginning of it's own. At the end of last week, the publisher of my inspirational romantic suspense announced they were closing up shop at the of June. There was no hint or warning this was coming. Granted, I'd been super focused on my mystery series as I'm editing the first book in the series while writing the second book, but from what I'm reading from other affected authors no one saw it coming.

I'm surprised, yet not surprised. The publishing industry isn't easy to navigate and seems to get harder each year for authors and small presses to get noticed. So, it's not a surprise that another small press has decided to close its doors, but it hadn't seem like this was something to have on my radar. The publishing house still had books set to release and were taking submissions so the announcement through every one off guard.

I do plan on self-publishing the titles myself...I love this series...but don't have a time frame at this time. There's a lot on the list to re-publish a book: new cover, re-editing, re-formatting. And I have five books needing that attention. I'm hoping I can get them out next year though my schedule is pretty full right now with the new mystery series.

I'm a little sad that the publishing house, Desert Breeze, will be no more. I enjoyed working with them and I know this wasn't an easy decision for the owners. I had been hoping to pitch a new series to them and one day meet them in person at a romance conference. But alas, that won't happen. It's also a little disappointing to know this series will be coming down by the end of the month. I'm proud of these books. New Beginnings is an inspirational romantic suspense series that follows a group of skip-tracers who dedicate their lives to relocating abused women who need a new start in life. These women and men face danger as they keep their clients safe. These were my self-rescuing princesses and tarnished knights out to set the world right. The couples hold a special place in my heart, and I hate to "see" them gone...even knowing I'll bring them back.


2 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Wow--sorry for the loss of your publisher. But I admire your goal of pushing forward!

Christina Freeburn said...

Thanks, Linda. I'm trying to see the positive in that I can give the books a fresh look with a new cover.