Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Happy Fourth of July!


Today's the Fourth of July.  As I've said before, this year is going quickly!  I'm looking forward to celebrating, although I'm not thrilled that we've been hearing fireworks in the evenings recently in our neighborhood.


One of the fun things that happened this week, though, involved some of the wildlife in my backyard.  We've got lots of murders of crows who like to caw and click in our neighborhood, as well as mockingbirds and hummingbirds and more, not to mention squirrels and lizards and other animals who don't fly--including, mostly in the nearby hills,  some coyotes and deer.  We also have hawks who perch on a large tree behind us and on the electrical pole in the back corner of the yard.  Usually, we only see one at a time, but this week a whole family--apparently mom, dad and their nearly-grown child--were there together.


And even more fun?  We have a fence around the patio off our kitchen and living room, which are on the second floor of our house.  One day a hawk was perched there, looking around the yards--but he also became aware of us as we walked slowly around to take his photo out our windows.  One of the photos even has him staring at me with his piercing eyes!  Fortunately, the dogs didn't know what was going on so they didn't scare him off.  He hung out for a while even after becoming aware of us before he flew off.


You won't be surprised to learn that he gave me an idea about something to write.  And yes, I have been busy coming up with more ideas and writing this week.


By the way, I'll be at the Romance Writers of America National Conference in Denver later this month.  I received the e-brochure Harlequin sent out about their various events at the conference... and it contains a page of Harlequin 2018 Author Achievement Awards.  I'm acknowledged on the list as having reached my 25th Harlequin Book Milestone!



No comments: