Friday, September 21, 2018

Inherit the Wool


Oh, now, I’m becoming one of them.  Well, maybe not totally.  After all my snickers at people forever looking at their smart phones, here I am lugging my Iphone around the house with me and listening for that bing to say a text has arrived.

It’s all because of texting.  It’s been slow going, but I’m finally joining the world-of-the-way-things-are.  Instead of relying on phone calls for our business, I’ve started texting heavily.  My next challenge is master typing with my thumbs.  It’s funny how things progress.  Phone calls have been around forever.  Email was the new kid on the block for a while and now it’s texting. 

I must say it is more efficient than making phone calls and leaving messages.  It is much more efficient when it comes to getting responses. 

I still have to consciously remember to check my phone.  I’m still not that person who pulls it out whenever they sit down.  Well, a lot of people have to because they keep their phone in their back pocket.  Finally a purpose for all those pockets that for so long were just for decoration.

I keep mine in my purse and when it rings or bings it’s like capturing a slippery fish. My Apple watch vibrates when stuff shows up, at least sometimes.  I notice it seems to be disconnected from my phone a lot and I have to unlock it.

I am still a million years away from the people who get anxious if they can’t have their phone.  I heard about a professor who ended up letting students have their phones visible even though they were turned off because otherwise the students freaked out.

Bottom line—I would still rather look out the car window from the passenger seat than stare at my phone.

And there’s exciting news.  INHERIT THE WOOL comes out October 9.  The e-book should be available for pre-order on Amazon, B & N, IBooks, Google Play, Kobo and Smashbooks next week.  The print edition won’t be available for order until the release date.  I love the cover.  It really looks like a scene from the book.   

2 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

I admit I'm one of those who looks at my phone too much--even now, despite breaking my knee a year ago because I fell at airport baggage claim while texting and walking! Now I'm a lot more careful about that, and I certainly don't look at it all the time, but I still look at it probably more than I should. And congrats on your upcoming book!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, one reason I don't bother with my phone when I'm out and about is that one time I was dealing with a phone call and ended up getting into the wrong limo at the airport in Chicago.