Monday, April 2, 2007

Miniature Albums--Perfect to Do on Vacation!


by Joanna Campbell Slan

Do you scrapbook on vacation?

No, I'm not talking about just taking photos.

I'm wondering if you actually sit down and work on pages.

I know that some dedicated scrapbookers drag along their Cropper Hoppers. I usually travel much lighter, often because I'm traveling overseas or for business. When you are already loaded to the max, the Cropper Hopper can put you over the limit.

Last week I scrapbooked while in a small hotel room in Florida. Here's what I packed in a flat (2" deep), plastic 12" x 12" project container:

* My small (fingernail-size) scissors
* My new Fiskars personal paper trimmer (finally, one that trims straight!)
* A glue stick, a length of photo splits (out of the box, folded like a long ribbon)
* A metal ruler
* A craft knife (the blades were separate and in a pill bottle)
* My cat's eye-shaped ink pads and baby wipes to clean the ink pads
* A pencil and an archival pen
* A lettering stencil
* Six sheets of co-ordinated paper, a co-ordinated sheet patterned with phrases and words, a co-ordinated ribbon, two solids that matched and a half dozen sheets of white paper
* A length of string (a hemp-like cord)
* Six brads (color to match my paper)

Honestly, with that small assortment, I could do about anything. Oh, and I did print out the photos I wanted to work on. Since I planned to make tiny, 3"x 3" albums, I printed the photos out credit-card sized.

You can see the result of one effort: a miniature album of my husband and son. It's perfect for carrying in my purse. So often, when you tell people that you are a scrapbooker, you have nothing to show them! And a wallet full of photos seems...just...WRONG!...if you scrapbook. So now I have the PERFECT traveling family album. In the weeks to come, I'll explain how I did it.

1 comment:

Mycki said...

Hi Joanna,
I was on the receiving end of a mini scrapbook very much like the one you made. My cousin (her name is Joanna!) gave it to me with pics of her adorable children, mini-artwork from each of them, and a little "I love you, Auntie M" from each as well. Needless to say, I love it and show it off at every opportunity.