Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Talking Turkey



Today as I watch the wind swirl outside my writing window and see Wisconsin’s first brief snow flurry, my thoughts turn to family, Thanksgiving, and spending more time in my kitchen. So it was appropriate that yesterday I received the artwork for my third Yooper mystery, which will be out in April. I have to share the cover design with you. BTW, Gertie Johnson (woman with the gun) isn't hunting for dinner, she's after a different kind of turkey.
Anyway…
I’m dreaming of stews, soups, and anything involving mashed potatoes. My body wants to pack on pounds, store it away for the winter. I want to cook a turkey right now, not wait until later in the month. I’m scanning newspapers and magazines for new recipes and this weekend I’m doing a pre-Thanksgiving meal. Here’s the dessert I’m going to try, courtesy of local “Chef Thunder”.

SPICED PUMPKIN TIRAMISU

Italian Ladyfingers – 1 package
Frangelico – 2 Tablespoons
Mascarpone – 8 ounces
Pumpkin puree – 1 cup canned
Cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
Ginger – ½ teaspoon, ground
Mace – ¼ teaspoon
Powdered Sugar – 1 ½ cups
Orange Extract – 1 teaspoon
Heavy Whipping Cream – 2 ½ cups, whipped

Arrange ladyfingers in bottom of a 9-inch square pan. Pour Frangelico over.
In mixing bowl, blend together mascarpone and pumpkin puree. Add spices, powdered sugar and orange extract.
Fold in 1 ½ cups of whipped cream.
Pour over ladyfingers.
Spread remaining whipped cream over the top
Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
Slice and serve.
(makes 9 servings)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that cover, Deb. Can't wait until May to read it!

Anonymous said...

Looks like that recipe will pack on the pounds for sure, but it sounds wonderful!

Deb Baker said...

Thanks, Lorna. I'm waiting breathlessly for yours, too!

Caryn, I'm going to have to use a month's worth of weight watchers freebie points to pay for it.

Camille Minichino said...

Watch that frangelico! That recipe looks great.
MY question however is ... how many books did you write this year????

Anonymous said...

SEND ME SOME INFO ON THAT BOOK; I'll post it on my AOL blog & maybe on my "Prose & Poetry" index.
LOIS
http://journals.aol.com/lowis6535/UpperPeninsulaMIandbeyond/