Tuesday, December 11, 2007

On the Home Stretch



Today is going to be a glorious day because this afternoon I will finish the first draft of my fourth doll collecting mystery, which is due January 3rd. Since I write methodically slow and revise as I go, two more revisions should wrap up this tale.

When I started the series, I tackled third person POV for the first time, telling the story through two characters – Gretchen and her mother, Caroline. I discovered that I love writing multiple points of view and added more of them in books two and three. Using different characters as narrators can really drive a story and create more tension because the reader gets to know more than the protagonist, and that ratchets up the suspense.

I’m writing about a murder that has already happened and one that is about to happen if Gretchen doesn’t put the puzzle together very quickly. The reader knows what’s up, but poor Gretchen doesn’t. I get to explore the minds of the suspects, what they are thinking and doing every step of the way. And until yesterday, I thought I knew who the killer was. What a surprise I had when it turned out to be a different character.

Tomorrow I’ll start following each character from the beginning and make them all come together at the end. If this ice storm lets up, I’m treating myself to a cocktail dress. Hope I look as good as Joanna.




4 comments:

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Deb,

I'm positive that you'll look grand. After all, you'll have that "I finished another book" glow about you!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Deb--
Isn't it wonderful when our characters talk to us and set us straight about how things should occur? Enjoy finishing your manuscript!
--Linda

Camille Minichino said...

Congratulations, Deb.
And it's only fair that you also send us a photo in your new dress!

I've done 2 POVs in my first series, but haven't tried it yet for this one. It might be just what this ms needs.

Kathryn Lilley said...

Congratulations on finishing the first draft! That always finishing a marathon, doesn't it?