Friday, April 18, 2008

In the Land Down Under, Bigger is Better


Breaking news! Australian men like everything big—including their women, it turns out.

According to an article in the Brisbane Times, an online survey conducted by the men’s magazine FHM found that most Australian men prefer women who are a size 14 over a size 8.

Let me repeat that: Australian men prefer a size 14 to a size 8.

They don’t “accept” larger women. They don’t “tolerate” them, while ogling the size-6 beach bunnies They prefer them.

Oh joy! Oh rapture! As a woman who has fluctuated between size 12 and 14 most of her life, this is truly cause for celebration. In fact, if I were still a single gal, I’d book the next Quantas flight from LAX to Sydney, and go me a huntin’ my own Crocodile Dundee. I’d sachet my plus-sized derriere in his general direction, and ask him if he’d like to toss an extra-big one on my barbie.

But now I’m blushing. So for details, here’s the link to the article:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/life-and-style/what-men-want-thins-not-in/2008/04/05/1207420346331.html

This is by far the best news I’ve had all week. I’ve never been to Australia, but now I see it has a lot going for it besides cute koalas and kangaroos.

Like, a lot of happy women who are shaped like me.

Contest winner from last week

And in the spirit of big is better, I have to proclaim H's IFNWK from last week, the one about one ostrich egg being the equivalent of 21 chicken eggs, as the winner of last week's contest. H, I posted on your blog to let you know, but email me to let me know where to send your signed copy of DYING TO BE THIN!

More breaking news!

I’ll be doing a joint signing on Saturday the 19th at Metropolis Books in Los Angeles, with Christa Faust and Sue Ann Jaffarian. For details, see my web site: http://www.kathrynlilley.com/news.html

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew I liked Australia! I've been there, but my husband was along, so I didn't get to test the waters. Maybe I need to do some more research...

Joe Moore said...

Hey Kathryn,
Does this Australian size thing have something to do with that wacky metric system? :-)

Please tell Christa that I just finished MONEY SHOT and loved it, and tell my Inker buddy Sue Ann hi. Best of luck with the signing.
Joe

Kathryn Lilley said...

Hah! I don't know a thing about metric systems, Joe, but it reminds me of the old joke about why women can't measure things, because they've been told all their lives that six inches is actually twelve, lol.
Sheila, I'm sure I'd love Australia, too! And it'll always be there, in case anyone ever needs to test some waters...

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

I've often said that if my husband dies, I'm taking my insurance $$ to Australia and buying one of the men there. I saw the CUTEST guys when I visited. So fit. So tan.

And now I know they are sensible and realistic.

I'm moving. That's it, that's all. We had a 5.2 earthquake here this morning. And now your post. God is trying to tell me something.

Kathryn Lilley said...

Yikes, an earthquake, Joanna? Is everything at your house okay? Those are very scary, even for us in CA, where we get them a lot. A 5.2 is definitely scary if it hits close to you...

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

We're okay. A couple of gas mains broke downtown.

I woke up to the house shuddering. I kept thinking, "What an odd thunderstorm." I listened for the wind. There was none, but the plates were rattling. I was half-awake, and wondered if my son was playing his guitar really loud.

Oh the silly things that went through my head.

Kathryn Lilley said...

Glad to hear you all are okay. I always think a truck has hit the building when we get one here. Unless it's a really big one, and then there's no doubt that it's a quake.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie...Oy! Oy! Oy!

Glad you're okay, Joanna. Ironically, my older son, who recently moved to Chicago, happened to be in quake-prone L.A. when the quake hit his new digs today!

--Linda

Nicole P said...

If I ever find myself husbandless, I'll be joining you ladies down under!!!

Kathryn Lilley said...

Nicole, wouldn't this be a great idea for a singles tour? Once the word gets out, we'd have ourselves a booming business, I predict!

Camille Minichino said...

Here's a related IFNWK ... the largest recorded earthquakes in the US were in New Madrid, Missouri, about 200 years ago. (NOT in California!)

Kathryn Lilley said...

That's a good one, Camille! Who'd a thunk the midwest, and not California or Alaska?

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Yes, I've learned a LOT about earthquakes in just one day. First off, my husband suggested we all head down to the basement. (OK, I can hear all of you in California shrieking.)

Sigh.

And Nicole, TRUST ME. The men in Australia were so...hunky. They all look like that "bad boy" singer that Nicole Kidman married. Oh, be still my heart. Wait...is that another earthquake or nearly retired hormones surging?

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Linda--

Whew. And your son just thought he had the wind and politics to worry about in Chicago.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Oh, one more thing--evidently, it wasn't the new Madrid Fault. (Which I in a stunning display of Mrs. Malaprop-ism called the New Madris fault on another blog. Duh.)

It was the Wabash (as in river) fault, which is connected to the New Madrid fault.

And, to add another worthless fact, I guess the Midwest is the place in the world where you would MOST feel an earthquake. It's because we're on rocks and the tremors carry.

Who knew?

Kathryn Lilley said...

No fault about fault names, Joanna--we're riddled with so many faults here in SoCal that no one even tries to keep up with all the names. Wherever you are in LA, you just know you're probably on top of one!