Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I Think That I Shall Never See

Last week Thursday I went down to Madison, Wisconsin, to attend a Quilt Expo at the Alliant Energy Center. This is an annual affair, I’ve been to two or three of them. This time I was too busy to have time to walk around and see the quilts or vendors – except the few booths I walked by on my way in or out.

But: One booth on that route offered a form of artwork that called for cutting out fabric and "fusing" it in layers to make a landscape. The person running the booth had models, of course, but also another piece to show the possibilities of her method. It was a naked oak tree rising against a multi-colored sky. She had used paint to color the sky and touch up the tree’s limbs. I have a weakness for trees. I love really big trees, especially cottonwoods, oaks and maples. (I also love badly-formed evergreens, the kind that grow where the prevailing wind or bad soil distorts their shapes.) This tree was for sale. It was beautifully finished and framed and it cost a whole lot more than I wanted to pay. I told myself I couldn’t afford it, and walked away. But I had to pass it every day on my way to and from the booth where I was sitting and signing books.
So I suppose you shouldn’t be surprised to learn that it’s sitting on the floor beside my desk waiting to be hung where I can look at it every day.

I think I am going to try to post again later today, putting up the image of that tree. I am not very skilled at this computer thing, but I want to share this image.

2 comments:

Terri Thayer said...

Yes, yes!! Please do! I wanna see!

Unknown said...

I love your book!

Anissa
www.thecarlisleconnection.com