Friday, March 6, 2009

Real World

Is it Friday? Sorry, it's day after a book deadline for me, and all else has faded from my memory. Ten days ago, INKED UP came back from the editors at Berkley and it needed some work. So off I went into the fictional world of Aldenville, PA where a body is found in a corn maze and lots of people are not who we think they are. Fun.

Writers must throw themselves into the world they're creating. The real one drifts away as I enter that place. The laundry piles up, food is eaten on the run, the DVR saves episodes of Lie to Me, Lost, and Trust Me. (Not Friday Nigh Lights. I watch that one almost live.) Phone calls go unanswered. Emails get grunting replies. Exercise is done, mostly because it gives me my brain back, so I can write more. I can't keep this up forever, but for a week or two at a time, it's okay.

Now it's time for reentry. Remembering what I was doing before I started this process. Getting back to the sewing machine, setting up a card stamping date. Cleaning the house.

And doing the laundry.

1 comment:

Linda O. Johnston said...

I agree, Terry, that we need to place ourselves in our characters' worlds to do the best job of writing their stories. And getting back to reality isn't always easy or fun!
--Linda