Sunday, August 23, 2009

DIY Practically Anything!

Sarah Sarniak is the Queen of DIY. You can see all her amazing advice at www.queenofdiy.com Here she kicks off our week with some thoughts on tackling that DIY project--


DIY projects can be intimidating to get started on. I find that there are a lot of people out there that really WANT to learn to do things for themselves, but just don't know where to start. Perhaps this is you, or you've been there at some point.

When I set out on a new project that I'm not sure exactly how to do, I don't see it as intimidating; but instead I like to look at it as a new learning experience. I generally always go to the same place to start learning about my new project - the internet. In any search engine simply type in a keyword like "refinishing furniture for beginners" and you will find an enormous amount of information to get started. From there you can find tutorials, books, experts, forums, and so much more to kick off your new hobby.

If you're more of a book person, the internet can still be a great starting point. By searching for your hobby on Amazon you can find reviews and ratings for books on your hobby. Instead of blindly trying out new books, you can get a head start by choosing the books that have worked well for the majority of people in the past.


Another great resource is craft blogs such as this one, Killer Hobbies. You can find lots of unique crafts and inspiring projects to get your creative juices flowing. Feel free to checkout my own DIY blog, Queen of DIY for new step by step projects with pictures posted on a regular basis. I happily accept requests to help you out with something more specific as well.


Once you've done your research, you can gather together a basic supplies list and try out some smaller projects before leaping into the larger ones.


DIY-ing doesn't have to be intimidating, it can be an ADVENTURE!


To me, DIY is not just an acronym, or a thing you do, but a lifestyle. When I need a piece of furniture reupholstered or my yard re-landscaped I don't seek out a professional first. Instead, I seek out to learn something new.


If you make mistakes along the way, that's okay because it's all a learning process to experience and have fun with. As the old saying goes, "When you run so fast to get somewhere, you miss half the fun of getting there."


So set out on a new adventure and take things into your own hands, living a DIY lifestyle!
Happy DIY-ing!
Sarah

1 comment:

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Sarah's post is incredibly timely. The New York Times just had an article about how many people are now turning to "do it yourself" to save money.