Thursday, August 27, 2009

Friendship Bag Swap Contest

I’m taking part in a Friendship Bag Swap over at Michele Foster’s site, http://quiltinggallery.com. She has linked up nearly three hundred participants. The idea is to make one of these: http://quiltinggallery.com/quilters-fun/friendship-bag-2009/ and exchange. My recipient asked for brights a la Mary Englebreit. I think black and white polka dots when I think ME, so I rooted through my stash and came up with this assortment of prints. Bright enough?

The finished bag is tiny, barely big enough for a paperback, which means it goes together quickly. I wanted to do something special for the lining fabric. I had this black and white print which depicts quilters at work. Or mostly play. Fun stuff, but not quite special enough. Out came the fabric paints.

 

I got a little carried away. The first color blue I tried wasn’t quite right. Here’s a hint. It helps to have the pieced fabric in the same room when you're painting a matching lining. You won’t remember the colors otherwise. The aqua was better, but then by mixing gold and green, I was able to get this cool green. Acid green, really. Now I like all three and can't decide among them.

 

Which should I use?  What would you chose? And now that I have linings enough for three bags, anyone want to enter a drawing for another? Leave a comment and I will enter you in the contest to win a copy of INKED UP and a friendship bag. 

4 comments:

Camille Minichino said...

I suppose blog sisters should be excluded from the contest. Too bad!
They're all great, Terri, but I do like the one on the right. It's very inviting!

Anonymous said...

Terri, I love this idea. I missed the registration but I think I may try to make one (or more, if it turns out well) as Christmas presents.

I've been quilting a lot lately, making "rag time" quilts where you quilt each square as you go. This past weekend, I was cutting out the squares from unbleached cotton batting and ran out before I had enough squares cut!!! Last evening, I went to three different stores trying to find more but couldn't.

So now, I'm trying to decide what to do. My options are 1) make the quilt only as big as the number of batting squares I have (112 5" squares), 2) use regular cotton batting for the remaining squares (32) and mix these squares in with the others, or 3) start over and cut all new squares (144) from a fresh piece of batting.

Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

Shirley in Baltimore

Terri Thayer said...

Hi Shirley,

Option #2. I think if you match the thicknesses of the batting the best you can, I don't think it would be a problem. They're both cotton and should behave the same way in the quilt. Why don't you try a couple and see if you like it.

I'd love to see a picture of it.

Michele does a lot of swaps, so you might be able to get in one or another.

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea. Count me in
JOYE
JWIsley(at)aol(dot)com