Friday, October 23, 2009

PQF Redux

Last weekend, while my blog mates were at Bouchercon, I was at the Pacific International Quilt Show, held in Santa Clara, CA. Just up the road a piece. It's a big show with 400 pieces including quilts, wall hangings and garments and each year artists enter their work from all over the world. Local folks, too, and I saw several friends who had quilts hanging in the show.

I didn't expect to sell too many books this year. I thought everyone who wanted a copy already had it. I was wrong. There were plenty of newbies, new to the quilt show, new to me, new to the world of Dewey Pellicano.

Some of the sales may have been caused by the excitement my friends were creating. There was a little rivalry going on to see who could squeal the loudest when they passed the booth I was in. You'd have thought Elvis Presley had risen from the dead! Their cries took me right back to seeing the Beatles at Shea Stadium. I still think Ann took the prize - not that there is an actual prize. Just my undying gratitude.

I was sorry to miss Bouchercon, but not sorry to hang out with lovely quilters, vendors and friends at PIQF.

I can post a picture of my latest quilt now. It has arrived in the college dorm it was intended for, and so is no longer a surprise. My niece was very happy with it.


This is the little friendship bag I made for the exchange. Can you see how small it is next to my coffee cup? Cute, huh?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terri, I missed you at Bouchercon but hope to see you at Malice next spring.

What type of material did you use on your friendship bag? It looks very durable and yes, it's very cute!

I'm planning to make one, maybe this weekend, but I also have to start working on a quilt for my sister's birthday. So many projects to do and not enough time, right?

Shirley in Baltimore

Terri Thayer said...

Hi Shirley,

The fabrics are just cotton ones. I found the leather strapping in the notion section of a local fabric store. The whole thing only took a couple of hours and was really fun to make. I liked it because it was such a quick project. I'm using mine as a camera bag.

We can always find more projects than time, that's for sure. Good luck with your quilt.

Anonymous said...

Terri, I must have been tired when I asked you my question. I meant to ask just about the handles because they looked like leather, and being leather, would be very durable. I already have some cotton material cut out for the bag so I think I'll get some leather for the handles and finish the bag this weekend. Getting a project done in a couple hours gives one a big boost of self confidence. That's just what I need before I start working on the quilt.

Thank you.

Shirley

Camille Minichino said...

It sounds great, Terri. I got the same reaction of delight at the Miniatures show in San Jose, and at the Dollhouse Museum in Indianapolis.

Isn't it interesting -- I did NOT get that kind of reception at Bouchercon. Yes, there are fans, and many brought books from my first series even, but there's nothing like that NICHE we have with readers who also share our hobby.

One more thought -- Michael Connelly and Sue Grafton didn't seem to need a hobby to sell their donations for thousands of dollars at the live auction!

Anonymous said...

You do such beautiful things with color. And words!! Yay for squealing friends.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Terri, I think I need to be a better friend! That bag is too cute.

Betty Hechtman said...

How cool to have squealing fans. I had the experience once at the Printers Row book fair. A woman took one look at the books stacked in front of me and squealed with excitement. It did wonders for my self confidence.

The quilt is gorgeous and I love the friendship bag. The bag looks like the kind of quilting project I could tackle.