Wednesday, January 12, 2011

But Not Yet

What does the title of my post mean? Well, last week’s title was My New Year -- It’ll Get Better.

I went on to complain about some aches and pains. Well, the good thing is that I’m fine now. One of the bad things is that a dear family member is in the hospital.

Plus, I got word yesterday that The Mystery Bookstore in Los Angeles is closing. It has been here a long time. It’s an institution.

Yes, it has moved at least once and had several owners. But it has always been a delightful place to visit, with a wonderful staff.

Not that it’s as important as the loss of the store, but I’m now in the position of having to find a new venue for my launch party for BEAGLEMANIA, my first Pet Rescue Mystery. I’d gone to the launches of some friends’ books there recently and found it to be a great location for one. I still have a little time since BEAGLEMANIA is a March release, but these things get scheduled in advance. I have some ideas, but haven’t figured it out yet.

Okay. I’m through complaining. I’ve got deadlines to meet and a new series to launch soon. I’m in touch with friends and family. Plus, I had the great fun of being a guest blogger on Killer Characters last Sunday--rather my new protagonist for the Pet Rescue Mysteries, Lauren Vancouver, guest blogged.

But I will ask again: how has your 2011 been going so far? Give us some good details!

8 comments:

Betty Hechtman said...

I just heard about the Mystery Bookstore. What a shame. It's also too bad about the Barnes & Noble in Encino being replaced by another lousy CVS drugstore. I hope its true that they are looking for a new location.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I agree that the loss of The Mystery Bookstore is really a shame, Betty, and that Barnes & Noble, too. I'd heard that some local residents were trying to save it, and if that results in the store reopening elsewhere I'll definitely celebrate!

Terri Thayer said...

Sorry to hear about the rocky start to the new year. The Mystery Bookstore closing is so sad.

How about having your launch at a pet store?

Linda O. Johnston said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Terri. I've been considering having the party at a pet shelter if not at a book store, but an independent pet store is a good idea!

Dru said...

Glad you're feeling better.

Sorry to hear of this store's closing.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Thanks, Dru.

Anonymous said...

Sally Carpenter said...Sorry to hear about Mystery Bookstore. Mysteries To Die For in Thousand Oaks is close to where I live and hopefully it will stay open for years to come. And I just love the name of your book "Beaglemania." Makes me want to run out and read it!

Linda O. Johnston said...

I love Mysteries To Die For, too, Sally. Love visualizing your running out to read Beaglemania. Hold that thought until March!