Sunday, February 27, 2011
Note to Self
One of my favorite movies, Night Shift, features a running gag where Bill (Michael Keaton) dictates notes to himself. Or in his words, "I'm an idea man, I get ideas, sometimes I get so many ideas that I can't even fight them off!"
Isn't that the truth? I mean, who has the time to write them all down? And almost all of them begin with, "Note to self."
I don't know about you, but I come up a lot of "notes to self." Here are just a few:
1. Note to self: If you climb UP four steps on a ladder, it's a smart idea to climb back DOWN all four steps. Skipping from the top to the floor is not advised. (And thus, you can explain how you pulled a muscle in your leg and why you are limping.)
2. Note to self: Do NOT change your moisturizer, face makeup, mascara, hair color or cut before a major life event. (Remember that allergic reaction? The one that made your face swell up and look like a tomato?)
3. Note to self: If someone says, "You can't miss it." You probably will. Make them get specific.
4. Note to self: Never sit on a toilet without checking first to see that there is toilet paper.
5. Note to self: Do NOT go directly from getting your nails painted to trying on clothes. No, your nails are not really dry yet. They won't be until tomorrow.
6. Note to self: Keep track of the days of the week in your book by writing in the days as you create your first draft. (Remember that book you wrote with two Saturdays in one weekend? Hmmm? Hard to fix, right?)
7. Note to self: Do NOT trust your computer to automatically back up what you've written. Stop and save stuff frequently. Very frequently!
8. Note to self: That wonderful line, "Oh that Barney Rubble. What an actor!" came from Night Shift. Go rent a copy and rediscover how much fun it was.
How about you? Got any notes to self?