Sunday, June 5, 2011

Pardon Me, But Is That an Autopsy Table in Your Kitchen? And Buy a Book for 99 Cents!

Last week I flew to the metro-DC area so we could move. Again. (Can you tell I'm sick of this?)

We moved from a lovely 4,000 square foot house in Vienna, VA, to an 1800 square foot loft apartment in McLean. The house in Vienna had a full basement. Full as in full of boxes. Stuff. Stuff I didn't know I had. Stuff I'd forgotten I owned. Stuff that has followed me around for years.

My husband had been winnowing this STUFF down. He claimed, "There isn't much to do." He lies like a cheap rug. Especially when it comes to moving. Eventually--somewhere around Day 3 of unpacking boxes in the basement--he said, "Let's just ship all this to Florida. You can put it in the garage."

Wrong.

I started to cry. I cried for quite a while. Then I got back to going through boxes. Eventually we came to a mutally agreeable decision. We're getting a storage unit here in Florida so I can go through the boxes and pitch/sort/give away stuff. On Day 7 of my visit, we moved into the loft apartment. It's really a neat place, very industrial, and very different for us. When the property manager took us around, I pointed to the stainless steel rolling table in the center of the kitchen and said, "Um, is that an autopsy table?"




She looked a little sick. "We can store that for you. Several of our tenants asked us to do that with theirs."

I just bet they did. I mean, I'm all for form following function, but geez... In my mind, that table is the ultimate in STUFF, and I really don't want to have it anywhere near me when I'm eating my meals.

**

Paper, Scissors, Death is now available for downloading on your e-reader for only 99 cents. Yep, Midnight Ink is running a special summer promotion. You can download (or upload? I never can decide.) a copy of Paper, Scissors, Death, my Agatha Award Finalist novel, for less than a buck. Other books are available for similar savings--all are the first in a series so you can get started on a new fiction series today! Simply go to Midnight Ink's blog for details.

6 comments:

Carol S said...

Packing, tossing and moving must be one of the top 5 most stressful things in life.
Just last night, I finished reading Paper, Scissors, Death and thoroughly enjoyed it! And the ending ... wow! Must go find the second book to find out what happens next. The scrapbooking tips alone are worth the 99c ebook price! Thank you, from a new fan!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

You are so welcome. I hope you'll tell a few of your scrapbooking friends about the 99c special offer.

Susan said...

Thanks for letting us know about this, Joanna. I downloaded a copy of Paper, Scissors, Death yesterday right after I finished Make, Take, Murder and posting a review of it on Goodreads (thanks again for sending me the copy!). Can't wait to catch up on an earlier part of Kiki's life.

Christine Thresh said...

I bought it after I read about it here. I am enjoying it. Thanks.

The word verification for this comment is "readish." What a great word.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Hey, Susan and Christine, I hope you'll tell your friends about the 99c offer. Midnight Ink is exploring new marketing avenues with this special discount, and if the response is good, it's more likely that they'll repeat it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.