Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Dog Pack

My husband was out of town for a couple of weeks. He just returned on Sunday. As always, I missed him and looked forward to his return.

And our dogs? Well, his absence makes a big difference in our pack dynamics.

Our Cavalier King Charles Spaniels always hang out with me when it’s just the three of us. Sometimes they sleep on the couch in my office. Other times, they insist on sleeping on my lap while I’m writing--one at a time, at least. I love that, even if it is a bit disruptive. I’m less excited when they tell me they have to go outside every five minutes and paw at my arm to get my attention if I don’t immediately obey. Too often, they interrupt a train of thought and it takes me a while to get back into my writing zone, even when I tell them they have to wait. Which I don’t very often. They’re well behaved, but I don’t want to tempt them to have an accident.

When my husband is back and working in his separate office in our home, I see my pups less often. They consider him alpha and hang out more with him. That makes me jealous, even though I get fewer interruptions to my writing. When he’s around, I like it much better when they sleep on the stairway between our offices so they can keep an eye on both of us.

And then there are the occasions when my husband goes out to run errands while I stay home to write. It’s like old times! My dogs both sleep in my office, sighing and snoring while I enjoy their company.

Okay, I admit it. I’m an obsessive pet mom who’s gaga over her snuggly pups. They deserve it! I doubt they completely consider me a leader of our pack... but ask that again when they think it’s time for dinner.


What is the pack like with your pets?

5 comments:

Janie Emaus said...

Well..since I have no pets, I can't say. But my dog, Angel, used to follow me everywhere.

Mollie Cox Bryan said...

How many dogs do you have? I have one--a miniature schnauzer, who thinks she is a guard dog and must sit in the front room all day long to warn me if people are passing by. I try to get her to sit in my office with me, but she can't see outside and I think it must disturb her.

Linda O. Johnston said...

You were probably the leader of Angel's pack, Janie!

Linda O. Johnston said...

I have two Cavaliers, Mollie. They do like to go onto our front porch behind the gate and watch the world go by--but that too often involves barking at whoever they see, especially other dogs.

Betty Hechtman said...

The animal situation in my house is crazy. My terrier acts like a cat and is her own master. One of my cats acts like a dog and sleeps with his paw on my head. The other cat walks around carrying a toy bear which she drops at my feet, while giving off a plantiff meow.