Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Smashing Spring Break

My daughters have been on spring break this week, which means that I spend most of my time with them, as opposed to working on my books. We’ve not done anything special this year, opting to stay close to home. One thing we’ve managed is to catch up on reading, movies, and hiking. We live close to the Blue Ridge Mountains and we avail ourselves of all the trails every chance we get. We’ve also been scrapbooking with our new Smash books.
We have fallen hard for them. Have you heard of them? (Here’s a link to a page that has a fabulous video about the books.) They are a cross between scrapbooking and journaling. It could be an art journal in the right hands. I think of mine as a scrapbook on the go. I’ve been recording book events for SCRAPBOOK OF SECRETS with one of my Smash books. During my launch party, I asked for people to write a little for me on these nifty little prompts, which they did. Now I have wonderful hand-written remembrances of a special event in my life.



One of the coolest things about these books is the glue stick and pen that comes strapped on to the book. How amazingly simple and why didn’t I think of that, market it, and make a million dollars on it? This really adds to the convenience of scrapping on the go.
Now, of course, a case can be made that you can do this with any journal or notebook for that matter. And you can. But these books also have fancy papered-pages, interesting prompts on the pages, and a whole system of embellishments. It all depends on what works for you.
Two women I know who are very good friends have been affected by the Smash book in different ways. One woman has gone “creative-mad-genius” with her Smash book and the other is kind of intimidated by them. She said, “I’m not sure what to do with it. It’s too messy for me. I need directions.” Interesting, isn’t it?
In truth, my scrapping has always been a little more like Smash books, maybe that’s why I’ve taken to it. And my girls certainly have. Here’s a few of my favorite pages from their books. Doesn’t it look like fun?




4 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

As an empty nester except for my dogs, I don't have to deal with spring break, Mollie. I never heard of Smash books before but they sound like fun.

Mollie Cox Bryan said...

Thanks for commenting, Linda. Yes, it quite a balance to write with the kids at home.;-) The books are so much fun that I bought another one. I really like all the embellishments, too.

Betty Hechtman said...

I'm hooked. Can't wait to get a Smashbook. It's just my kind of thing.

Mollie Cox Bryan said...

You won't regret it, I promise! Cheers, Betty!