Friday, May 18, 2012

Rewriting

I finally finished the manuscript for Yarn2Go. I let it sit for a day and then began reading it over. My plan is always the same. I'll read it through once just to see how the story goes and then I'll go back and start fixing it. It's always the same plan, and I never keep to it. My finges get itchy to start rewriting when I should really wait to see how a scene plays out. So, already have things scribbled on pages (I always read a hard copy) and yellow sheets with additions.

Something really weird happened as I was reading it. I came to a section I had no memory writing. I guess I must have really been in the flow when I wrote it.

Now the real fun begins - the actual rewriting. Some manuscripts have just needed some tweaks, but this one needs a lot more than that. My original deadline was June 1, but I've been given a few extra weeks. It is both scary and exhilarting to think about rewriting this manuscript. I feel like the Little Engine That Could about to go up that hill. I keep telling myself I think I can, I think I can. Maybe I should change that to I hope I can, I hope I can.

Let the rewrite begin...

2 comments:

Planner said...

I think we always amaze ourselves by what we can do by actually doing it.

Molly, Adele, Barry, and Mason know you can do it for others because you continually find entertaining exploits for them.

Happy writing!

P.S. Is the first book in a series the hardest to write?

Betty Hechtman said...

Planner, thanks for the vote of confidence. This is only the second time I've written a first book in a series, but I think it is harder to write than the later books because you are just getting to know the characters.