Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Romance Writers of America National Conference 2012

When you read this, I’m likely to be either on my way to Anaheim, California, or already at the RWA National Conference which is being held there this year.  It’s sort of my backyard since I live in L.A.  I’m used to traveling across the country for this annual event so this is kind of fun.

That also means I’m not sure when I’ll be able to respond to your comments.  I’m bringing a laptop but don’t know when I’ll have time to sit down with it.  Nope, no smart phone yet. 

I have a lot of events and meetings scheduled there in addition to the usual workshops and conference lunches.  Parties, too.  Those kinds of things are what really make this conference special to a long-time writer like me.  I get to chat with a lot of people I haven’t seen for a long time, including my Harlequin editor and my agent. 

I’ll be at the Literacy Autographing tonight at 5 PM, at table 607.  This is the first year that authors won’t be seated alphabetically, so I’ll get to meet new people whose last names don’t begin with J.  I’ll be signing both UNDERCOVER SOLDIER, my first Harlequin Romantic Suspense novel that is a new release this month, and HOUNDS ABOUND, my latest Pet Rescue Mystery for Berkley Prime Crime.  The public is welcome--and is in fact encouraged to come.  The publishers donated the books, and attendees who purchase them can get them autographed by the many authors who’ll be there.  All proceeds go to benefit literacy programs.

Then there’s the panel that I’m on and moderating: Sell a Series You’re Passionate About.  Four authors, including me, and my agent will be talking about writing and selling one or more series on themes that are particularly appealing to the writer.  It’s on Friday afternoon at 2 PM.

I’m also participating in the Berkley signing, where I’ll be giving away, and autographing, copies of HOUNDS ABOUND for conference attendees.

I’ll miss my dogs but my husband--whom I’ll also miss--will remain at their bark and call while I’m gone.  He’s been organizing some areas in our house that we haven’t touched for a while, and one of the things he found is the collar and nametag worn by Panda, our first Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  We put it temporarily on a table in our living room, and our two current Cavaliers Lexie and Mystie glommed onto its scent right away, barking to meet their distant relation.  It was hard to tell them that was impossible.

My writing gets put on hold at conferences like this, although I’m bringing a printed copy of a very rough draft of the beginning of the story I’m working on now--another Harlequin Nocturne about Alpha Force, my covert military force of shapeshifters.  Will I have time to work on it?  Doubtful.

If you’re at the conference, be sure to say hi to me at the Literacy Autographing, my panel, or anywhere else you run into me!  I’m sure I’ll have a nametag around my neck.

Will you be there?  What’s your favorite kind of conference?

8 comments:

Janie Emaus said...

I'll be at table 603! See you there.

Mollie Bryan said...

Have fun, Linda! I hope to go to RWA next year. I hear it's fabulous. This year I LOVED Malice Domestic and I'm planning to go to Bouchercon. Can't wait!

Linda O. Johnston said...

See you soon, Janie!

Linda O. Johnston said...

I hope we meet up again at one more more of those conferences, Mollie!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Give Paige a hug for me!

Betty Hechtman said...

Have a great time, Linda. I might have gone but am on my way to hot Chicago for a family reunion.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Will do, Joanna! I've seen her a couple of times today and our panel is tomorrow.

Linda O. Johnston said...

As much fun as I'm having here, Betty, I'd love to be going to Chicago to see family, too.