Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My Upcoming Online Class

Lots going on in my life at the moment.

I’ve got two writing deadlines and more that I’m working under.  Then there’s that romance writers’ panel at the Cerritos Library on Saturday, September 29, that I blogged about last week.  I’ll also be attending the West Hollywood Book Fair on Sunday, September 30, signing at the Sisters in Crime booth in the morning and helping to staff the Mystery Writers of America booth in the afternoon.

I’m additionally working on a writing project that I can’t discuss yet.

And on top of that, I’m going to present my first online class for Savvy Authors starting in October!

It's not my first online class.  I’ve given a couple, including for the Orange County Chapter of Romance Writers of America.  It’s also not the first time I’ll be giving this class, on Blending Romance and Suspense: Putting Suspense Into Your Romance Novel and Romance Into Your Mystery.  I presented a version of it a while back for Story Stew University. 

It’s changed from then, of course--upgraded and brought up to date.  It’ll run from October 22-November 18 and should be a lot of fun.  Here’s the way I’ve described it for the Savvy Authors website:

These days, anything goes!  Novelists can mix the best parts of multiple genres--especially romance and suspense.  Readers love the combination.  Even so, they have expectations about how much of each they’ll find in a story, depending on the genre they’ve picked up to read.

Currently, Linda O. Johnston writes mysteries, romantic suspense and paranormal romance.  Her mysteries always have a romantic interest.  Her romances always contain suspense.  In this online class, she will share her secrets with you, including the “rules” for the different genres, and how they can be sidestepped or broken.
 

Is there anything you’d like to see included in such a class?   Oh, and I wouldn’t mind at all if you decided to join up! 

5 comments:

Janie Emaus said...

I guess I'm lucky. I get to listen to you and receive advice on a weekly basis!

Linda O. Johnston said...

I enjoy your advice too, Janie!

Betty Hechtman said...

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Good luck on all of it.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Thanks, Betty. Fortunately, it's all fun!

Robena Grant said...

This would have been right up my alley, but I'm heading off to Australia in November and will be without computer access. (I love that for a refreshing change of pace, but still...) Anyway, maybe I'll catch the class next time it's offered.