Thursday, March 21, 2013

I Don't Control the Universe...So Glad I Remembered!

News Flash-- I don't control the universe. What a relief! So glad I remembered.  

I know what you're saying, "Duh, Anne." Yeah, I know that startling insight might seem like a no-brainer. But every once and awhile, I have to walk into that same wall. Or, check a mirror to make sure that I am still, actually one person. And can only do what I can do. Until Star Trek Transporters and the E-Z Clone Machine are available for home use. (Can you imagine the info-mercials?)

This morning I jumped into the day with ambitious plans. Gather tax records (blech!) meet with the accountant, take piles of books I've been promising to send out to the post office, re-stock the church food program, etc. and so on. 
Early in the game,  a text from my daughter: "I M SIC. BAD THRT N  FVR.PLS PIK ME UP?"

Off to school, then the doctor. Luckily, it's not strep and I just happen to have a pot of homemade chicken soup handy. (Mother's intuition, what can I say?)
 
Now, here I am, more than half the day is history and I'm just getting to the first "To Do" on my list. "Man plans, God laughs." That is true.Sometimes, no matter how much you plan and prepare, how hard you try or how much you strategize, some things just aint gonna happen. And sometimes, that's a good thing.
 
And while I'm happy to remember that I don't control the universe, there are a few things I do control and can do. Work hard and consistently. Keep good intentions. Stay optimistic and be kind. Give people the benefit of the doubt. Especially if they screw things up. (It will be my turn soon, I'm sure.)

Step back, take a breath, get the Big Picture. Very few situations -- including accountant appointments and even blog deadlines -- are do-or-die moments. Life is long and there's practically always a chance for corrections, revisions and forgiveness. 
 
Mainly, I can be grateful for the countless number of things that are going right, and for
a life that allows me to correct, revise and catch the overflow tomorrow.

Happy second day of Spring.  


3 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Love your attitude, Anne. Yep, life happens, and accepting and dealing with the unexpected is definitely a part of it. I try!

Betty Hechtman said...

I am always surprised where my day takes me. Usually it is far, far away from what I'd planned.

Chrystle Fiedler said...

Love this post Anne! You are absolutely right of course. I'm finding Byron Katie's THE WORK helpful in turning stressful situations around!