Wednesday, April 17, 2013

After the Family Visit


Here’s my follow-up to last week’s post, when I blogged about the visit to Los Angeles by my son, daughter-in-law, and little grandson Elliott.

I had such a wonderful time with them here, especially since we got to babysit Elliott a lot.  Of course, my usual routine was on hiatus. 

That could have led to some issues, especially since one of the deadlines I mentioned last week was my first law project in quite a while.  I’m a lawyer by background, although my usual method of practicing law, working for other attorneys on a project basis, had dried up when the economy started going bad.  I’d been diligent for quite a while about looking for new work but finally tapered off, especially since my writing was keeping me plenty busy.  But a firm I’d done work for before contacted me about a project, and of course I said yes.  The timing could have been a problem with the family visit, but it fortunately worked out.

The other deadline I faced was some copyedits, and I managed to finish them on a timely basis, too.  Elliott’s napping helped!  That was for an e-novella, Nonstop Spaniels, part of my Pet Rescue Mystery series, that will be available starting in June.  I’m excited about my first story to come out in e-format rather than print.

But now I’m back at that usual routine.  I’m plotting a couple of new mystery series ideas and having great fun with them despite not knowing if I’ll sell either or both.  My next official deadline is far enough away that I don’t have to start that writing immediately, although I’m certainly thinking about it.

By the way, I did comment on Monica’s post yesterday that my back ached when I was carrying Elliott--but what a wonderful reason for discomfort!  When I went to my workout after the family left, I asked one of the people in charge for suggestions on how to build up my strength.  She gave me some stretches to do and I’m now preparing for the next get-together.

Have you had any interruptions to your usual routine lately--and, if so, were they the result of something you were happy about?

Oh, and by the way, I picked up my books for World Book Night yesterday.  What’s that?  Well, on the evening of Tuesday, April 23, people all over the world will be giving away free books.  Yes, free!  I'll be giving away Lisa Scottoline’s LOOK AGAIN.  The catch?  We’re handing them out to encourage nonreaders to read physical books!  I’ll be focusing on places like coffee shops where people are on computers to remind them about how it feels to hold a book in their hands, and to read it and enjoy it. 

Are you participating in World Book Night?

2 comments:

Betty Hechtman said...

I know that building up your core helps your back. I just heard about World Book Night. I'll be in Chicago that day in a neighborhood where people are such avid readers, they walk down the street reading.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I'm going to be working on building my core, Betty. And that neighborhood sounds fantastic!