Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Everybody Write!


I used to be an in-house attorney for Union Oil Company of California, aka Unocal.  Unfortunately, Unocal no longer exists.  Its assets were sold to other companies quite a few years ago, ending with a merger with one of them.  But some former employees still meet almost monthly for lunch, and I try to join them as often as possible. 

One of their meetings is today.  Guess who the speaker is.  Me!  And what will I be talking about?  What else--writing!

Sure, I’ll update them on my writing career.  But I’ll also be telling this group of how each of them, too, can write, for fun and maybe for some profit.   

Writing is a vocation or avocation that can be started at any time and can continue throughout a person’s life.  I’ll be encouraging people who haven’t yet started to give it a try, in whatever genre or venue they prefer--fiction or nonfiction, traditional publishing to any kind of online or other type, book-length or just short articles or blogs... anything!   

They can write about whatever they wish, preferably something they’re passionate about, as Chrystle encouraged earlier this week--as passionate as I am about pets, especially dogs.  They can write about themselves--who they are, what they’re doing, what they want to accomplish.   

Will they enjoy the talk?  That remains to be seen.  But I’ll definitely have fun--and I hope I inspire at least one of them to give it a try!

How about you--if you write, what was your inspiration to start?  If you don’t, what would be the best inspiration to get you started?
 
By the way, I’m having fun with my latest release, an e-novella in my Pet Rescue Mystery series: NONSTOP SPANIELS.  Like the cover?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Betty Hechtman said...

What an adorable cover! I hope your talk went well. There are so many avenues open to people who want to write now. Even facebook posting.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I love the cover, too, Betty. And yes, thanks, the talk went well. I'm not sure I convinced anyone to take up writing who wasn't doing it already, but people seemed interested and I answered a lot of good, cogent questions.